shoot ?camera using medium format film (6x6, 6x5, etc), OTHER THAN

than those cheap cameras with plastic lenses, such as the Diana and

the like.

By ?point and shoot? I mean that the user has only to make very

basic adjustments, like a setting for ?cloudy? or ?sunny? days, and

the camera takes care of the rest (focus, shutter speed, aperture,

etc). In other words, a high-quality camera with the easy of use and

immediacy of a Kodak Instamatic.

Second vote for Fuji GA645zi. All automatic exposure and focus with 4 stage zoom lens 55-90mm, extremely sharp but I wish it had a true wide-angle (you could always purchase the GA645wi w/ 45mm lens). Camera is very light and very nice to hand-hold (down to 1/45th without blurring). The film winding mechanism is a bit loud (I wish it was manual) but tolerable.

Pentax 645N or NII, the size is not a traditional point and shot camera, is a bit more big, but is AF, has some zoom lens, and you can shot in full automatic mode. Is 6x4.5 but very very good. I love this one.

Regards.

Un saludo desde Espa�a, Bona Nit (no se si se escribe así© :)

I can't see the function of a point and shoot in MF. 35mm point and shoots get away with bad

focusing, motion blur, lens errors and the like, because the medium hardly allows you to see

all those problems in the final result when printed on a 10x15cm piece of paper. MF film

however will show any technical shortcoming on a painful level.

Having said that, modern Rolleiflexes (6008AF) and Hasselblads (H1) do have the option of a

very high level of automation, combined with high quality lenses. It is possible to use these

cameras in Program mode only. You might get some great results using these cameras

without knowing anything of camera technology.

Thank you all for your useful recommendations.

I will probably purchase a camera from the Fuji GA series:

Fuji GA 645 i

Fuji GA 645 Wi Wide

Fuji GA 645 Zi

Now I only need to decide which model. I assume all of them allow a full automatic operation: focus, speed and aperture fixed automatically by the camera. Correct me if I am wrong.

I notice Fuji no longer makes theses camera. I did not find them at their Web site.

Can I do macro-photography with any of these Fuji GA cameras ?

Bona nit, JFF.

Sorry no macro with these fuji fixed lens cameras. Macro in medium format is a highly debated subject. The ZI I know for sure has a program (point and shoot) mode. The Ga645Wi is hard to find and more expensive than the ZI. I bought my ZI used from KEH but they are on Ebay all the time. B&H had new ZIs the last time I looked. I was at Niagra Falls last weekend and somebody asked me what digital camera I was shooting (the ZI) and I told them Fuji's new 50 megapixel camera and they believed it, but then many believe medium format equals 50 megapixels. Regards, Tim

Thank you Tim for your reply.

I noticed that the Fuji GA 645 takes pictures in Portrait format in its normal operating position, instead of the more usual Landscape orientation. Is there any reason for this anomaly ? Does this also happens with the Fuji GA 645 Zi ? (the model with zoom). Is this latter model preferably over the model without zoom ?

Regards from Spain.

Hi- I think Robert answered your question as to portrait vs landscape with these Fuji cameras. As to which Fuji, you didn't say what you are planning on shooting or what film you like. My first Fuji was the GS645 folder, sharp lens but couldn't keep it working. KEH refunded my money on that one. The next one was the GS645W, very nice but it fell in mountain hiking accident and smashed. See www.bigezlodge.com for a photo taken with it. The lodge photo with the star trails was taken by my son with the gs645w. The ZI makes a excellent replacement for shooting 35mm with the exception of macro and long telephoto. The built in flash is just good enough for cafe photos of friends at the same table. I would suggest reading the other beginner thread, 645 vs 6x6. I find shooting vintage twin lens reflexes loads of fun. The Fuji ZI or my Pentax 67II are for when the moment is going fast. If I have time to plan the shot, I shoot 4x5 or a vintage TLR, such as an Autocord, Diacord, Ciro Flex, and now a very excellant Red Yashica D from Dean Williams ( deanw@valint.net). If in doubt start with a vintage TLR and move on up and have fun. PS I ride a Gas Gas Trials bike made in Spain. Sincerely, Tim D.

Thank you Tim.

I will use my Fuji GA camera as a general purpouse camera: indoors (still natures), outdoors, portraits, landscapes...

I think the Fuji GA 645zi (model with zoom) will be the model more versatil to me. Also, I like its design more than that of the 645i.

Here in Barcelona, these cameras are hard to find. If I bought

the camera from USA thru Internet, I must consider the payment of customs taxes.

I went with a Bronica RF645 as my general-purpose camera. But that's because I like to have more control over the camera. And the RF645 is very quiet - no whirring of little motors and such. But that's just my preference (I've been shooting manual 35mm reangefinders for a while).

For your stated preferences, the Fujis should be fantastic. But I'd suggest that you buy from KEH.com - you might save a little on eprey, but at increased risk of disappointment. KEH rates conservatively and they allow you 10 days to examine and test a camera - you can return it, no questions asked, as long as it's in the same condition as it was when shipped.

Good luck! You're going to love 645.

Robert

Robert,

I have taken a look at the Bronica RF645 and I must say it looks wonderful. It seems not much bulky than the Fuji GA 645, and allows to change lenses, which it is not a trivial detail

Do you favor the Bronica because you think the Fuji is difficult to operate in the Manual mode ?