possible cause? At a wedding (oh god no) I was alarmed when my

shutter speeds were well off on AV so I retreated to my car. On

checking the film speed the camera had set ISO of 3200 with a kodak

gold ISO 200 film. I rewound the film (fortuately only got to frame

11), loaded another and it was perfectly fine. I have never used any

custom functions on the camera, and The camera is 1 year old, kept in

a clean enviroment etc. Is it posssible for the camera to have mis

read the film mid way through the roll or would it have been from the

start? I will have to get my film push processsed but 4 stops?

Can a film have a faulty DX code? Would appreciate any feedback on

this thanks

Hi Jo,

The DX Codes for ISO 3200 and ISO 200 are very similar (see these links http://www.bythom.com/dxcodes.htm and http://utopia.knoware.nl/users/eprebel/Imaging/Photography/DX/DX.html) with only one contact difference between them. It could be possible that the contact on the film canister was faulty or that there was a small item of dirt or something that was sitting on the contact when you loaded the camera that created a contact for position 4 which should have not been conductive.

If there is a problem with the camera itself you have the ability to change the ISO from the automatically selected one so it isn't a problem that would warrant major panic as long as you checked the speed whenever you loaded the camera.

Try loading a few loads of ISO 100 and ISO 200 when you have a chance to do some recreational photography and see what happens. Chances are that the fault was with the canister and that everything will be okay.

About ten years ago, I bought a brick of Kodak T-Max 400 36 exp on which all the casettes had a "correction" noted on the cartridge. It looked like one of the lower positions, numbers7-12, had been stamped over with dark green ink in a sqaure shape to change the position from conductive to non-conductive. I just assumed that Kodak had printed some wrong and they didn't want to toss them all away!

Robert Johnson