100% rag from the local art supply store

From all my googling I found out that inkjet papers are all coated to control the ink on the paper, otherwise it will bleed between the 'dots'. Which leads me to another question. Can silver halide photo paper be run through an inkjet printer? They are coated. I threw away a lot of nice Ilford Gallerie double weight matte paper a while ago.

Todd Jacobs

Actually there area a couple of different coatings for inkjet papers. A swellable coating and a micro porous coating. The micro porous works better for pigment inks, and the swellable is better for dye inks.

Otherwise it would be actually worse than printing on plain copier paper, in that the inks would be able to bleed further.

Yes. I have gotten superb results with Black Only pigment ink printing on Johannot. Depends what your goal is. You can print nicely on papers like Arches Cover or Arches Hot Press. I have printed a soft image by inkjet, then did conventional etching press printing over that. The inkjet pigment ink (MIS Associates) held up in the water bath used to soften paper before running through the press. Somerset Velvet is another paper that will print well with inkjet and fine art etching press.

There is 100 percent rag Vellum made for manual drafting; ie pencil; also for xerox/bond/toner based printers; and inkjet prints.<BR><BR>Manual drafting Vellum has "tooth" to accept lead. <BR><BR> "xerox"/bond/toner Vellum is designed to accept toner well; there are sub classes for the different types of toner; and how they are fused><BR><BR>In inkjet; 15Lb and 17Lb are common coated products for inkjet; usually use more for line drawings; and renderings.<BR><BR>If one uses NON coated vellum in an inkjet printer; the Vellum will soak up and widen lettering; blure micro details and type. It also tends to clog the inkjet heads more; with the wild "tooth" of the rag exposed.<BR><BR>In printing a photo on inkjet Vellum; one many times has to light the image up; so the shadows dont block up; since the product has less coating than photo grade inkjet product. Adding photo details to CAD drawings has been done probably for over a decade or more; with Vellum. <BR><BR>In ome prints a grey scale on inkjet photopaper; one can reproduce all the tones. With inkjet Vellum and photo images; the darker three patches usually will merge as one balck blob. Here I throw in a transfer function; to lighten up the dark areas; to get a decent image. <BR><BR>Inkjet printing on Vellum is real common in invitations; wedding; aniversary stuff; formal stuff. <BR><BR>