new 50-200mm DA series zoom lens?

david_nevin1

Hi all--

Just noticed this lens (SMC-P DA 50-200mm f4-5.6 ED) is showing up

on the market at a pretty good price, and was thinking it might be a

good backpacking companion for my *istD. [i currently have the 16-45

f4 ED zoom and like it--everything else I have is manual focus.] But

I haven't seen any reviews or heard any comments about this new one.

Anyone here use it, or hear any news about this lens?

Thanks,

Dave

I hope this helps. $248 from B&H

The Pentax 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED lens offers a wide four-times zoom ratio and offers focal lengths equivalent (in the 35mm format) from 76.5mm to 306mm. This wide coverage is ideal for a variety of telephoto applications, including portraiture, sports and scenery.

The image circle in DA-series lenses is designed to perfectly match the 23.5mm x 15.7mm size of the CCD used in PENTAX digital SLRs to optimize camera performance. (*) The new design also contributes to a drastic reduction in size, weight and production cost, compared to 35mm-format counterparts with similar specifications.

Like all Pentax lenses, this lens is treated with smc coating for maximum light transmission, sharp definition, and high contrast images.

(*) Note: Not suitable for 35mm film SLR cameras.

Key Features

?

Incorporates an Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass lens element and two aspherical lens elements for true-to-life image reproduction and overall size reduction

?

Quick-Shift Focus System allows to instantly switch the focus mode from AF to manual with a slight twist of the focus ring

?

The filter hood (included) features a window that facilitates the mounting and removal of a polarizing filter

?

Incorporates a metallic lens mount for extra durability