into the camera in manual mode, attach the flash, knock the flash down

a stop or two, then take the picture. if i want to take another photo

and things have changed a bit, i have to take the flash off and start

over.

i'm guessing i'm missing something very simple. what's the right way

to do this?

thanks

chris<div>00DP0G-25433184.jpg.64345dd3f3b55dd8d775ca39da9ac336.jpg</div>

First of all, the photo looks good to me. You're doing it right, but making it more complicated than necessary. With your camera/flash combo, you don't need to do anything more than meter the scene and shoot. The camera never takes the flash into account in M,A or S, except that you must shoot at the synch speed of 1/250 sec or slower. No need to take the flash off the camera for metering purposes. I like the look of -1.0 to -1.6 flash compensation, depending on the situation, but experiment and see what you like. A custom function on the the F100 allows combined and separate flash and exposure bracketing, too.

The F100 has a pretty advanced flash electronic system. When it came out, Galen Rowell commented that he trusted the system enough to use the matrix balanced fill-flash automation after choosing an aperture, if fast changing light obviated continually metering the scene.

Set the camera to matrix and the flash to matrix fill (with the little sun symbol). Just pick your aperture and your compensation (most choose between -1 and -1.6) and you can continually shoot in different lighting situations if you choose. Great when you don't have time to be methodical.

interesting - right - i guess i'm making it too complicated. it's an issue with my n60 because i can't stop down the flash - so the flash pictures frequently have too much flash. i can stop down with the f100, so i'll experiment a bit and see if that does everything i need it to. thanks for the tip on the matrix mode and matrix balance flash. i haven't used either of those settings yet.

great - thanks for the tips.

chris

Chris, go to these two links for more help with Nikon flash. Since I do not own your flash, I do not know if the SB50 allows what Nikon calls Standard TTL, but if it does, try and use it. If not, use Balanced Fill Flash. Also use rear curtain synch when required. Set flash compensation on the flash, not the camera.

http://www.moosepeterson.com/techtips/flash.html

http://www.photosafaris.com/Articles/AShotInTheDark.asp

Consider buying a used SB-25, 26, 27 or 28. All support Standard TTL as well as BAlanced Fill Flash.

Joe Smith