Cruise Line Security

picturebug

I'm going on a cruise at the end of October. Last time I went my

camera didn't survive the trip. I'm not sure if their xray machine

had anything to do with it or not. This time I have a digital outfit.

It would be very hard for me to replace it for a long time. Will

these xrays harm my gear? And what about the metal detectors you have

to walk through? I was going to just hang my camera around my neck

and keep my memory cards in my pocket until I got through. Will my

stuff be safe?

...someone may have the "ability" to hi-jack a cruise ship and perhaps lift it into a building, but chances are that won't happen...but the Federal 'anti-terror' rules apply to aircraft and ships.

The x-ray equipment should do no harm to your camera. If you have 'magnetic' media and get too close to a strong magnet, it may be a problem. You will probably have to 'empty' your pockets into a little tray for the initial boarding (and re-boarding) event before you take your little walk through the metal detector.

Travel safe!

Harriet,

You probably won't be able to get your camera or memory cards through the metal detector. Most likely they will have to go through the Xray machine, but this will not harm them at all. Just have them in a bag ready to go on the conveyor belt. Hope that helps, have fun on your cruise.

Roger.

I've never heard of x-rays damaging photo equipment.

However, just a basic caveat to anyone cruising with a film camera...

Your equipment will be x-rayed each time you re-board. X-ray damage is cumulative. If you take your entire film supply ashore at each port it will be exposed to x-rays each time you re-board. Factor in airport x-rays on top of that and even ISO 100 films can become fogged.

My imperfect solution is to carry just enough film ashore for that day and to have it processed onboard. Princess did a pretty good job of processing my Fuji Reala 100. At least as good as most minilabs and I believe it was only about $11 for 36 exposures. Not one negative was scratched.

This won't work for slide shooters as no cruise line has onboard E6 processing....at least none that I'm aware of. That's the primary reason why I stick with print film for cruises.

• 1 year later...

Harriet, check if x-ray model is made by L3. If it is - have no worries for any type of camera or film.<br></br>That x-ray is using latest technology of non-direct x-ray scanning, and it is uncomparable with airport type x-ray machines.<br></br>

When it comes to digital media, it is 100% safe for any type of x-ray machines, including old ones.<br></br>

http://www.cruise-ship-security.com/