waterfall pics at Ricketts Glenn PA

jesse munyan

I would suggest you go as early in the day as possible, especially on a weekend. It's a popular park and the trail (and parking lot) can get crowded. If you park in the Lake Rose area, you'll be closer to the waterfall trail, but be aware that the road up there (487) is deceptively steep -- I wouldn't bring a trailer.

The waterfalls are located in a rugged, wooded area, with some deep ravines. I always try to go on days when clouds and/or rain are forecast, but unfortunately I always get bright sunshine, making woodland photography problematic. Hitting the trail early helps with that, since the sun doesn't always reach the bottom right away.

If you get the right light, and especially if you are lucky enough to be there immediately after a light rain, a polarizer would be helpful to take the shine off the leaves and bring out the colors.

I'd also bring a notebook, or at least a map of the falls that you can write on (they have free maps at the visitor center). With so many waterfalls, it can be a challenge to identify which one is which after you get home and start sorting your images. Some of the falls have little signs (not always in the best spot) identifying them, which can help you keep track of where you are on the map.

I was there for 2 days last October. The ravines are oriented roughly north-south. As a previous poster noted, expect light not to be reaching the bottom during early morning and late afternoon, especially in fall-winter-spring. If you're using transparency film early or late on a bright day, you would likely be having exposure latitude issues. The deep shade areas may also be rendered a little blue on films that have that issue. You might want to try a warming filter, or use something like E100GX.