Flash Fill with Nikon F4 and AI lens...how?

xcapekey.com

hi there..i have several AI lenses and no AF lenses...i essentially need a body that will let

me do flash compensation with AI lenses and the Sb-28dx...will the F4 do this?

i've read that the f4 is one of the most backward compatible bodies and that is why i'm

interested in it...i handled a body at a local camera shop and notice no flash compensation

on the body itself, so i'll have to do it all in the flash unit....right?

so here's a sample situation...

f4, 35mm 1.4 AI, sb-28dx w/ omnibounce

so let's say i'm in manual mode and the ambient exposure is f4@60....and i want to pop a

flash with -1 compensation...i have an ombnibounce on the sb-28dx flash and it is

pointed straight up....do i have to manually select the aperture in the sb-28dx or will it

communicate somehow with the body automatically? if i want -1, i select -1

compensation on the flash in TTL mode?

am i missing anything?

should the sb-28dx work with flash compensation with an FA the same way? setting it to

manual and selecting the aperture and compensation on the flash manually?

thanks

hi there..i have several AI lenses and no AF lenses...i essentially need a body that will let me do flash compensation with AI lenses and the Sb-28dx...will the F4 do this?

> Yes. I use AI/AIS lenses on my F4 with flash compensation all the time. Actually any AF body that meters with AI/AIS lenses (N90s, N8008s, F100, etc) should be able to do the same thing.

i've read that the f4 is one of the most backward compatible bodies and that is why i'm interested in it...i handled a body at a local camera shop and notice no flash compensation on the body itself, so i'll have to do it all in the flash unit....right?

> Yes - you set exposure compensation on the flash.

so here's a sample situation...

f4, 35mm 1.4 AI, sb-28dx w/ omnibounce

so let's say i'm in manual mode and the ambient exposure is f4@60....and i want to pop a flash with -1 compensation...i have an ombnibounce on the sb-28dx flash and it is pointed straight up....do i have to manually select the aperture in the sb-28dx or will it communicate somehow with the body automatically? if i want -1, i select -1 compensation on the flash in TTL mode?

> Just set the flash to TTL/Matrix Balanced Fill (TTL with "man/sun" symbol), set the exposure compensation on the flash to -1.0, set your manual exposure and fire away. As the flash exposure is TTL the flash doesn't need to know the lens aperture. You can set it if you want to, but all it does is show the TTL flash range at that aperture with the flash head set at 90 degrees.

am i missing anything?

>No.

should the sb-28dx work with flash compensation with an FA the same way? setting it to manual and selecting the aperture and compensation on the flash manually?

>No. You will not be able to access the flash compenstion setting when the SB-28 (or any other SB-xx) is mounted to the FA. Flash compensation is a little trickier on the FA since the meter goes dumb and the shutter speed automatically sets to 1/250 when you mount a TTL flash on the FA. There have been a couple of threads on FA/flash compensation recently - you might find it in a search of the archives.

Note that with an N90s, you'll need a MF-26 back if you want to control flash compensation

from the body, otherwise it must be set on the flash (The two settings stack though, so you

get more compensation with an MF-26 than without).

The N90s does Centre-weighted balanced fill flash by default with AI/AIS lenses, I believe it's

the oldest body to do that, while older bodies like the F4 need to be manually set to fill.

As to the FA, not sure. I own one and a SB50DX, but really haven't played with it for flash

work, as I've got more capable bodies for that (F90x, F601m)

mike..thanks for the thread...i emailed bruce with this question...care to help out? i don't

own the FA quite yet so can't test it all out...:

here's what i want to accomplish...i'm essentially trying to do fill flash in two

situations...the first is say in open shade where i want to separate the subject just a bit

from the background without making it look obvious.... the 2nd is to do the same, but

indoors...

here's what i'm working with...i have an sb-28dx with an omnibounce and several manual

AI lenses...i'm thinking about getting either an FA or FE2..i shoot mosty in manual using

an incident meter (my other cameras are leicas for available light)...

so is there a way to get that subtle little pop with an FA and sb-28?

say the ambient reading is f5.6@250 with iso 400 speed film in the shade....i should

therefore dial in -1..or -1.5 exposure compensation on the BODY...THEN turn on the sb

-28 and put it in standard TTL, right? do i have to select the aperture i'm using on the

FLASH as well, or will TTL figure it out? also, if have the omnibounce on the flash, TTL

should account for the light loss and compensate right? (my reasoning for having the

omnibounce is not so much to create soft light, as it is to let me get closer to my

subject...around 3 feet...which using direct flash would not let me do)

another related question is that does it have to be done precisely in that order (

1.compensate on body; 2. turn flash on) for it to work? say i have the flash (already ON)

on the body , then dial the compensation on the body will it then NOT pick up the negative

compensation....so in essence, I have to boot up the flash with compensation dialed in?

will therefore setting the ISO to 800 be the same as putting in -1? i've read that the TTL

doesn't work beyond 400...likewise, the -compensation should still work even if i use the

SC-17 offcamera cord right?

> I used to own an FA, but recently sold it to finance an F100. I never used it in the situations you describe (prefering the F4 for fill flash) so we are getting beyond my limited experience here. The thread I referenced seems to indicate that the FE2 might be a better choice as the ambient metering apparently doesn't go dead when a flash is turned on (which does happen on the FA). If you are using a seperate meter that's likely not a factor.

so is there a way to get that subtle little pop with an FA and sb-28?

say the ambient reading is f5.6@250 with iso 400 speed film in the shade....i should therefore dial in -1..or -1.5 exposure compensation on the BODY...THEN turn on the sb -28 and put it in standard TTL, right?

> Sounds about right for the FA. BTW, standard TTL will be the only TTL mode you will be able to access on the SB-28 controls.

do i have to select the aperture i'm using on the FLASH as well, or will TTL figure it out?

>No, not necessary. Flash doesn't need to know your lens aperture for TTL as the flash exposure is measured "off the film" during exposure. The flash TTL system will "figure it out", so to speak.

also, if have the omnibounce on the flash, TTL should account for the light loss and compensate right?

> Yes it should.

another related question is that does it have to be done precisely in that order ( 1.compensate on body; 2. turn flash on) for it to work? say i have the flash (already ON) on the body , then dial the compensation on the body will it then NOT pick up the negative compensation....so in essence, I have to boot up the flash with compensation dialed in? will therefore setting the ISO to 800 be the same as putting in -1? i've read that the TTL doesn't work beyond 400...

> The sequence is really only important (and necessary) if you are using the FA to meter the ambient exposure. The flash needs to be OFF for the meter to work, so sequence is 1. Flash OFF, meter with FA, 2. Set MANUAL exposure settings, 3. Set desired exposure compensation on BODY and turn flash ON (order doesn't matter), 4. Take photo. If you are using a hand held meter you can simple leave the flash on and make your settings in whatever order you prefer.

likewise, the -compensation should still work even if i use the SC-17 offcamera cord right?

> Yes - the body doesn't know the flash is off camera.

Hope this helps. As I said this is beyond my personal experience, but should work if I remember my FA quirks.

This is sooooo much simpler on an AF body! It's probably easier to just use A mode on the flash and trick the flash to "compensate" by selecting an appropriate aperture on the flash controls (i.e. lens aperture f/5.6, flash aperture set to f/4 gives -1.0EV flash compensation).

michael..thanks again...i'm really not a masochist :) i just prefer smaller manual

cameras...i have a few jobs coming up that will require using flash and i will need to

purchase a camera to do it, so i'm looking for a small metal manual camera that i would

still enjoy after the job :)

so i'm trying to narrow down...the FA seemed like a good body though i am also open to

the F4, especially drawn to its ruggedness and it's ability to function with AI lenses (of

which i have a few)

I use both the FA and F4 with SB-26.

With F4, the aperture setting on the flash is only for checking that the combination of film speed, aperture and flash power is suitable for the subject distance you are working with. Of course, when you point the flash head up, the distance scale disappears, so the aperture setting on the flash is useless.

You can use P, S, A and M modes with flash with AF lenses or lenses with chips (P type). With AI and AIS lenses, you're limited to A and M. When you are in A mode with an AI or AIS lens, as soon as you turn on the flash, the ambient light meter does a -1.0EV. It does this to make the photo look more natural (paraphrasing from the technical manual). You might or might not like this. For daylight, I use A mode with flash, in Fill Flash Balanced TTL (Man-in-sun mode) and I set a -1.0 on the flash for filling in shadows.

I also found that if you change the exposure compensation dial on the F4 body, it doesn't affect flash power. It only affects the ambient light metering. So you could say that the flash and ambient compensation can be adjusted independant of each other.