Angenieux Zooms for Nikon

khi

In an ancient test MTF by the italian magazine " Tutti Fotografi" edited by "Editrice Progresso Fotografico", the quality of the Angenieux zoom 35-70 mm f/ 3,5 was the same of the Leitz 35-70 mm f/ 3,5 zoom. The Angenieux 70-210 mm f/ 3,5 zoom it's excellent, too.

Buy surely, Angenieux it's one of the greatest name between the lens makers. Pierre Angenieux was the inventor of the non retrofocal wide angle optical scheme, in the late '50s.

Ciao.

Vincenzo Maielli Italy

I used that lens once, years ago (f2.6, or something oddball like that, right?). It was an AIS,

not the screwdriver AF version that I believe also exists. My impression was that while it

was competent enough, the results weren't any better than that of the Nikkor 35-70mm

f2.8 AF. Maybe it was the sample I used (though it was essentially new in the box), but I

also found the zooming/ focusing a bit loosey-goosey for my taste. Also, I seem to

remember it being plastic, rather than metal like the Nikkor. Could be wrong about that,

though.

I know that Angenieux is very highly regarded among motion picture lenses but I just

wasn't seeing anything special about this one. I suspect they command a high price

because they are so rare, rather than optically superior to the alternatives. If someone

were to offer me a user at a good price, I might buy it for fun. In the 35-70mm range, I

don't know what else there is that is any better than the AF Nikkor, which is readily

available for <$300. If you have been offered one for a great price, maybe buy it and

report back. Curious to know... Good luck.

Thanks everyone for your answers. The lens I am looking at is the 35 to 70mm f/2.5 to 3.3. I haven't held it in my hands but from what I can see it looks plasticky. I was curious because of the "mystique" surrounding the Angenieux lenses. I probably will pass on it. Originally I was looking at the Voigtlander 40/2 ultron-a great length to add to my collection. Unfortunately that lens is discontinued and sold out. Oh well,I waited to long. I have a Voigtlander 90 apo lanthar that is great-sharp as a tack. I will probably wait for the Zeiss 50 Planar ZF.

• 4 years later...
<p>Keith,<br />The Angenieux 35-70 zoom is not something to be discussed about; IT IS A MUST.<br />Every Angenieux lens comes in its own presentation box with its independent MTF graph and its two hoods (one ordinary lens hood the other to mount oversize filters) in its special box and pouch. Each Angenieux bears its own Angenieux filter for uncompromising quality. What you see in the photos of the lens is not plastic is special carbon fibre. The lens is so meticulously constructed that there is an internal real rubber extension tube that expands and retracts along the focusing distance of the lens in order to seal it against any unwanted light reflection. The same lens made for Leica R mount uses a riffled barrel in order to achieve the same result.<br />Angenieux 35-70, 70-210 and 200/2.8 are something exceptional with overall quality far better than the relative Nikkor AF. The 70-210 and 200/ 2.8 come nearly even only with the latest Nikkor AFS 70-200 VRII and at the f.l of 200 the Angenieux 200/2.8 is better in color rendtion. Those lenses have what we call cine color reproduction.<br />I have all of them and they are simply exquisite. Their only minor problem is that the zooms have no internal focus and that in close distance they present a slight barrel distortion which is very easily corrected in Photoshop, in case the subject is to critical.<br />All of them work perfectly on D3 and D3x and the more the pixel resolution the more they show their virtues. Put in the Non CPU lens data in the max f and shoot without any fear. the same suberb results I am getting with 35-70 on the Leica R9 with both film and the Digital Modul R, where the color rendition is still more critical as the DMR has a true 16 bit color.<br />And above all do not forget they are manual zooms with macro capability.<br />Therefore if you can put your hands on a Angenieux do not hesitate do it.<br />I wish you all the best and if you get one happy shooting.<br />Dimitris V. Georgopoulos</p>