8080 \ 7070 - what's the real difference ?

nir_domany

It's easier to say what is not different: they can both produces very high quality images with correct colours and lots of detail.

8080: large, bulky digicam with electronic viewfiender and reasonable ergonomics.

7070: compact (almost pocketable if you have very large pockets), well built camera with optical viewfinder and great ergonomics.

While the 8080 looks and feels like something from a science fiction novel, the 7070 follows a much more conservative line. It feels and looks like a camera. If you ask me, the 7070 is the better choice by a big margin, but that's me. 8080-owners may think differently.

I have used both, I love the 7070. The big difference for me is the EVF. I have not seen an electronic view finder that works well in bright light. The viewfinder of the 7070 works great. Both cameras have a steep learning curve to take advantage of all the customization. I also have had a Canon G6 and a Minolta A2. The Olympus 7070 is, for me, much better then either of those cameras. I use my camera for wandering around and street photography. If I had other uses I might choose differently.

I got a C-7070 about a week ago to compliment my Nikon D100 kit. I did take the time to

go through the manual and try all the feature of the 7070. I also used to shoot Leica M

stuff, etc. I am totally blown away by the 7070! It takes a fine picture, and handling is

very good, and it's pretty quick to shoot if you get it set up to you liking. Very easy to keep

handy all the time. I seriously don't see myself shooting the Nikon a whole lot anymore,

except when I need f1.4 or really long glass, or really shallow DoF.

Get a 7070 and enjoy!

C-8080 has a bigger sensor. The lenses are more than slightly different also. I would say the real difference as affects the user is in size and weight: the C-7070 is still a compact - barely -, but the C-8080 is in the DSLR league. I chose the C-7070 and I am very pleased with it.

thanks for all the answers.

So I desidedto go & have a look.....

Good news - I really liked the 8080 !

Bad news - I was told by the guys at the store that Olympus doesn't make them any more, and that there is no follow - up ......

Do you know anything about that ?

thanks.

Nir.

• 1 year later...

Perhaps I can pass on some good advice given to me at an underwater photo seminar. When you buy a digital camera and are leaving the store DON'T LOOK BACK. By the time you cross the street the merchant will either be lowering the price of what you just bought or setting up the new model replacing the one you just bought. That's just the nature of the digital world.

Enjoy what you have.

Bernie