Shooting a wedding in St. Thomas...film transport? developing?

paula_renda1

I will be shooting a wedding in St. Thomas in November of 2005.

I am concerned about transporting film due to x-ray machines, both

to and from wedding. My thoughts are to purchase film in St.Thomas

first of all (Fuji Portraiture NPH 400). Secondly, I was thinking

that I would have the film developed and uncut, and wait to have the

prints made when I can get back to my lab in Massachusetts. If this

scenerio works, then I am looking for a reputable lab in St. Thomas

to purchase film/and or to process film. Please advise! Paula

Paula, your own gut response is best: Take the film with you, since you'll know it's fresh and has been stored properly (or at least reasonably well).

Even with hand checking, I still like to store my film inside a lead lined bag in the cooler, even with hand checking: You never know when you'll get a politically correct jerk, mistaking you for an arab male between 18 and 30, who decides to violate TSA regulations and demands to xray your film.

Once you get to St. Thomas, look around at the different labs and find one that can do a reasonable "soup only" job.

Also, make SURE you have spare gear, and double-check everything before leaving. Even if there IS a photo store, they may be closed when you need them!

Don't take any chances: This couple thought enough of you to fly you to their remote location: That should tell you they are serious.

I always get the disclaimer "it will only effect high speed films" but why take the risk. There are several x-ray bags that you can buy very cheaply, probably at your local camera store, but have them hand check it if possible and carry it on with you. Heaven forbid it gets lost

Lead-lined bag = not a good idea in your luggage. The 'cool dudes' on the x-ray machine will just boost power to see what it is. Take your film in a clear baggie and request hand inspection.

You may want to shoot a 24-exposure roll and take it with you. Let the lab in St. Thomas process that first __ if all goes well; let them process your wedding film.

Hand carry only; the xray machines for checked bags are much more powerful than those used for carry-on. As noted earlier, insist on hand inspection. If possible, avoid early morning and early evening when airport tends to be busiest.

I would think St. Thomas is large enough and busy enough to support at least 1-2 pro labs.

You could contact a few professional studios in St. Thomas and ask where they buy their film (if you choose to buy some there) and have their film processed.

<p>

Gerald and Harris,

</p><p>

Oops! I should have made it clear to Paula that the CTX-5000 scanners used to inspect checked baggage will indeed destroy film,

even when packed in a lead-lined bag: The operators simply turn up the juice, up to 10 times normal, when they see something they

want to more closely inspect. [by the way, this comes up monthly over in the Film & Processing forum, where I generally hang out

since I process my own E6 & C41 film.]

</p><p>

That being said, I still keep my film in a lead-lined bag anyway when I fly, for two discreet reasons: (1) You may run across a TSA

jerk who insists on x-raying the package anyway, unless they unbox and even (with MF film) unwrap the foil; and (2) A lead lined bag will

*attenuate* gamma rays, which are increased while in flight, and can damage film as well.

</p>

<hr width = "64">

<p>

David's shot of an old fort in St. Thomas brings up a completely different issue: If it were me, I'd go down a day early with a

digital P&S & laptop, scouting out additional locations for B&G shots... Sorta like the typical "in-the-park" shots, but since it's

2000 miles away, I'd need to take some time to find some great points.

</p><p>

Along those same lines, since it's a tropical location the colors will be vivid and contrasty (as evidenced by David's shot), I'd

shoot a roll of E100GX or even Velvia 100 for the B&G "in-the-park" shots if it's a colorful landscape.

</p><p>

A couple years ago in a conversation with my editor at <a href = "http://www.RaceFax.com" target = "_blank"><u>RaceFax</u></a>, we

discussed a trade mag article portraying <a href = "http://www.storybookweddings.com/rangefinder/rangefinder.html" target =

"_blank"><u>Gary Fong</u></a> and the style of some of the photos in the mag. One photo was of a bride at a remote seaside castle, with the bride in full gown standing in the surf with the castle in the background. My editor (who is a crabby old cuss in Texas) liked the shot, despite the fact you could barely make out the bride's face since it was so small, remarking that, <i>for the bride & groom</i> the photo will be special, since when <i>they</i> view it, the scene will bring back the memories of their special day: Unlike news/sports PJ, the B&G <i>know</i> what their faces look like.

</p><p>

Fast forward to November in St. Thomas: A punchy "architectural & landscape" style (think National Geographic magazine), crisp and clear glossy R-print or Cibachrome (Ilfochrome) in the album will work wonders for the B&G... Possibly even as the album cover.

</p><p>

Cheers! <br>

<a href = "http://users.snip.net/~joe/default.htm" target = "_blank"><u>Dan Schwartz</u></a><br>

<b>Note:</b> All links open in a new window

</p>

Between 2002 and 2003, I had some ISO 400 Provia slide film that went on two trips. In 2002 I went to Australia where I was in quite a few interal flights. Some of that film was unused and I took them to Norway in 2003. Between those two trips, a few rolls went through at least 15 airport scans. I finally used those ISO 400 rolls in Norway and developed them in the US. There was no X ray damage at all. They were in my hand carry during all flights.

I would say don't try to "solve" a non-existing problem by creating a problem. Unless you are familiar with St. Thomas, you are better off with a reliable film source and development at home.

St. Thomas: A punchy "architectural & landscape" style (think National Geographic magazine), crisp and clear glossy R-print or Cibachrome (Ilfochrome) in the album will work wonders for the B&G...

The colors and buildings are incredible....be sure to get some shots set in those funky side-streets off the main strip. And BTW, Trunk Bay is just a quick boat ride over to St. James and is a must see for a snorkel or dive. Believe it was voted in the World's Best 10 Beaches...need an assistant?<div>00D4gr-24968484.jpg.a3643187f70a9fdabc3d512c72315a43.jpg</div>