Large batch of Kodak Recomar 33 (9x12) film holders on eBay

Good question, Danny. There must have been dozens of makers turning out very similar cameras. My guess is that CP Goerz originated it, but I have no evidence to back it up. Incidentally, my Zeiss Ideal has a tiny lever which moves the focusing scale about 1/4" for using plates or film -- I've never used it because I don't have any plate/film holders, only a useless film pack adapter.

By the way, has anyone ever seen an early one with an original shutter other than a Compur? The oldest one I've seen had a Goerz "Double Anastigment" (with dial-set Compur)which was what they called the Dagor at first -- probably from sometime in the early 1900s

Dr August Nagel had been an employee of Contessa Nettel up until 1928, two years after the company had been folded into Zeiss Ikon through the merger of Contessa-Nettel, Goerz, Ernemann and Ica. Thus, the Nagel Kodaks were not even introduced until well after many of the lines comprising Zeiss Ikon were well established.

Each of the companies had many folding plate cameras and it really took a good 10 years to streamline the product lineup, in time for Zeiss Ikon to cease selling plate cameras for good in 1938.

Many thanks to Mike Kovacs for providing the link that finally led me to a firm identification for my 9x12 field camera: http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/pp/zeiss/maximar/maximar.htm

The version I have is the very one pictured, which exhibits all the deltas that I was calling out earlier. Evidently the guide that came with my camera was added along the way. Instead of the camera being an Ideal, it is the Maximar B 207/7. Yay!

Now that that issue is out of the way, are the Recomar holders still a good candidate for the Maximar camera?

Going back to the top of the thread, the Kodak plate holders are (IIRC) the thick edge slide in type -- not compatible with Voigtlander, but compatible with some Zeiss-Icon models (unsure which -- Contessa-Nettel used thin-edge of a slightly different, shorter design, but some Ica had slide-in, derived from Goerz, I think).

The Zeiss-Ikon that was misidentified as an Ideal a way up has the thin-edge holders and can use the Voigtlander type; these are the most common, from what I've seen going by on eBay. I have two Ideals -- one Ica (in need of a new bellows) and one Zeiss-Ikon (functional) -- but don't own any holders that will fit the Voigtlander slide-in mount.

I had the winning (practically unchallenged) bid on these film holders, and received them today. They fit my 9x12 Maximar nicely! I need only to buy some film and load them up to put this endearing camera to use again. Thanks, John, for pointing out the auction, and thanks to all who helped me identify my camera and determine that it was safe to take the plunge. I owe the forum some "postcards" from my first romp with the camera, maybe in a few weeks.

I couldn't wait--I trimmed down some 4x5 Ilford Delta 100 and tried one of my current back yard motifs--hostas in bloom. A small inline image doesn't do justice to the resolution, so here is a link to my first postcard from this camera using the new (for it) holders:

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photo/3632250">Hostas #1</a>. This was just a technical image to test the holders, but the floret I focused on is crisp at 1200dpi--the film holder is true to the ground glass.<div>00DD6D-25147884.jpg.a50baa0e27ddc47b350181ac370c39e8.jpg</div>

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The 6.5x9 cm flm is aproximately 2 1/3 x3 1/2 inches. On most of these cameras the holders are designed to take glass plates of the marked size. If you used sheet film it had to first be put in a "film sheath" which fit into the plate holder. The film itself was cut a few millimeters undersized so there'd be room for the sheath to fit in the holder