Filter ring dent on lens (how to fix?)

I have two lens with small dent on front leading edge where the

filters screw in. Now I can't use filters or lens shades. Is there a

tool or a procedure to fix. I will thank you in advance for any

suggestions.

Also: how do you get photos in the post text, and not with a link?

See:

http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MT&Product_Code=LRP

And:

http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MT&Product_Code=LR

And:

http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MT&Product_Code=LV1

I cut my own block of wood with a keyhole saw & cut in half & made a stake to re-form the circular aspect - best to use a hard wood for the outer portion & softer wood for the pounding stake.

Good Luck

I have the Microtools LV1 model vise. Works great.

I recommend starting at the edges of the dent and working in rather than trying to push it out from the center all at one time. If it is a bad dent, you can straighten it out but it will still be rough or tight. In that case get an old filter, remove the glass and screw the ring in permanently.

-Paul

You should be careful when trying to 'recut' a formerly dented filter thread with a filter mount. If both parts are made of aluminium they are prone to get stuck. You can try to avoid this by putting a tiny amount of oil or grease on the threads.

I have access to a thread cleaner with 0.75mm pitch, and it works great for re-shaping filter threads. I haven't found any commercial source for this kind of tool.

If you can get a block of wood rounded to aproximately a roundish shape, tap it out with a hammer. If the threads aren't badly damaged, you have a fix, if not... get a step up filter ring and force thread it in, that will now be your new filter ring with brand new perfect threads.
The more you say, the less people listen.

I obtained one of the lens ring vises from a repairman in Alaska years ago who imported them from India. It still works great but it doesn't restore the threads. This can be done with a junk (brass) filter ring. with a fine file make notches at three positions around its periphery and carefully work it into the damaged threads. I like the step-up ring idea but it still requires delicacy in getting it into the threads without fouling up the whole works. I made a shaping block out of rosewood that is satisfactory for some lenses, but it is often a clumsy operation. The vice tool is the easiest solution for me.

Of course if you have access to a lathe and a generous selection of Forstner drill bits you can make your own restoration tools, but it involves a lot of work for a one or two - time operation. If you have several lenses or other accessories to repair it can be worth the expense and effort.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a (presumably made in India) 'Camera Depot' lens barrel vice a couple of months ago and immediately put it to use on a lens with dented outer-edge barrel where the filters screw in. Expanding the vice (i.e, tightening it against the inside of filter ring) a little at a time did the trick. <p>

When I was done, I gave the lens the acid test. I screwed in every 40.5mm threaded device that I have, including filters, sunshades, whatever. They all fit perfectly and with no need for greasing the threads, which in any case is not a good idea around high-priced photography equipment.<p>

Remember, if you do the job a little at a time, without stretching the metal, chances are the threads will be back in exactly the same location they were in the minute before the lens barrel was dented.<p>

Final observation. Don't drop the lens in the first place. And unless your life itself is at risk, don't ever drop the camera. Or even smack it down too hard on a table. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.<p>

Arnold Harris<br>

Mount Horeb WI

• 11 months later...