35mm.

I read a lot about the Yashicamat 124 G, and I think its a very good

entry level camera. I was offered one in exelent condicion, with the

lens caps, close up lenses, 3 filters set, lens shade. all with their

cases including the camera and a strap, and the instruccions booklent

+

1 sper battery for the meter. the only thing missing would be the

original box and price tag. looks like hardly ever used. the price is

300$, is it a good bargain? any coments on the camera model?

I'll be glad to hear them.

thanks, Diego.

You can't use modern batteries with this camera (they have too high voltage), so the meter is practically useless. Even if you get the right rating (by using $30 battery adapter), the meter will be inconsistant due to voltage fall off in alkaline cells. You can just use an exposure chart inside the film package, which gives good results with print film. Sounds like a good price for the package, although the camera is a bit overrated in the photo forums. Buy a Rolleiflex, like me. Let's the flame begin. :)

It is possible to use the zinc/ air cells and they are accurate. That As accurate as a meter like that can be. These cells do not have as long a life as the old mercury batteries but I find it useful to have the on camera meter. I have been experimenting this week with using only the on camera meter. I get the best results tilting the camera down and metering without the sky affecting the reading. I have also noticed lens flare on the meter cell skews the readings as well. I just use my hand as a shade like I would for the lens.

Buy the set, sell the close-up lenses and apply the money toward a light meter. I own three Yashica Mats. They're

excellent values, but not quite as sharp and robust as Rollei TLRs. The good part is they cost about 1/4 as much to

repair as do Rolleis. Stopped down to f/16 the lenses are excellent.

Thanks to all the replys i got about the matter, i was going to buy it when on a last minute check the transport lever sounded like a grinder

it made somekind of "suspicios" sound, since i read on the net that, that can be the begining of the end for this camera, althought i cannot figure how such a new looking camera have the transport lever over the hill? maybe it was all in my mind? ....... well, i'll keep looking for a good bargain, thanks again.

Diego

Every 124G (including mine) I've seen makes a terrible noise advancing the film. Almost a grinding, ratcheting sound. My crank wind YashicaMat and 124 don't make the noise. OTOH, I've only checked out maybe 6 or 8 124G's over the last few years. Is it a sign of trouble? Who knows? But with the number of available Yashica 124's (I think they breed, to be honest) don't settle for anything your not completely happy with.

$300 is a pretty good deal for that camera and the bit's you mentioned. But, for nearly the same money, you could find a nice Rolleicord, or for slightly more, a decent Rolleiflex MX. If your looking for the finest fixed-lens TLR from Japan, buy a Minolta Autocord.

The Yashicamat is a reasonable camera. I used a pair of them semi professionally for about 3 years and had no trouble with them. I would strongly recommend not bothering with the meter. A hand held meter is by far the more suitable alternative. I have a Soligor spot meter and find it so accurate and easy to use I don't bother using the meters on my 35mm cameras. One of your respondants mentioned the Minolta Autocord. I would agree with him. I replaced one of my Yasicas with one of these cameras and it was superiour. The only problem is that they are getting a bit old. If you are really serious about MF be patient and save up enough to by a Mamiyflex.

They open up a whole extra dimension in TLR photography.

• 3 weeks later...

Used Yashica Mats back in the 1960s for spot NEWS photos. Beat those cameras into the ground and they never failed. Had most of TLRs from 1962 through the 1990s! These included, Mamiyaflex TLRs - Model C, C2, C3, C33, C330, Rolleicord, Rolleiflex, Minolta Autocord etc. etc.

All in all , the Yashica Mat was superb! Even lost one once that was found under the spare tire of a 1962 Ford Convertible in the well, frozen in solid ice! Thawed that Yashica Mat out and she worked just fine!

Heard someplace, that the last bunch of Yashica Mat G cameras are to be avoided due to heavy use of plastic and cheap quality nylon gears.

Good luck to you . . . and you can't go wrong with a Yashica Mat!

• 3 months later...
I bought one of the LAST Y-124Gs made in the 1980's. It cost $119.00 new on a closeout at a Chicago camera store. The entire front panel cover is plastic and there are many other plastic parts (focusing knob, etc.). It's taken hundreds of great photos. I take it places that I wouldn't dare take the Rollei 3.5F (still my favorite). I use the C.R.I.S silver-oxide battery adapter (MS76 to PX13) which contains a voltage regulator and the meter is OK and generally agrees with my Luna Pro readings and is plenty accurate enough for B/W and C41. I sure miss Kodak Gold 100 in 120.

• 2 weeks later...

I too, have checked the built in meter in my 124G against my Luna Pro F. There is, at most, 1/2 stop difference. I don't know if this would hold true by a large body of water or whatever. (BTW, my OM10 meter also agreed). I now make a habbit of overexposing 1/2 to 2/3 or even 1 stop on all pictures. If I am using the 124G, I stay towards the middle of this range. Therfore, even if the built in meter is off by 1/2 stop, I get exposure ranging from "proper" (+/-0) to +1.

As for the loud crank noise, I too wondered about this an posted to rec.p.mf asking if this was normal. I was told that it is with this particular camera. It is annoying certainly, and might limit its use in church, but really, I don't know that it is any louder than my manual SLR overall. At least with the winding noise, the camera could be carried out of the room or wound under your seat and you could still take perfectly silent pictures. Can't say this about the mirror slap on my OM10. It is, after all, hard to step out of the room or hold the camera under your seat to *take* the picture.

Just my thoughs.

• 2 years later...

<html>

<head>

<title>Untitled Document</title>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

</head>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">

<p>FYI, John Harper's site has moved to <a href="http://www.geocities.com/y124g/front.html">here</a>.

Thought this new location could be of interest to Yashicamat users.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.usefilm.com">Usefilm.com</a><br>

Projects for Photographers</p>

</body>