Bird pic's from feeder (cropped)

tim_knight

I am seeing a thin white ghosting around the bird after cropping it.

I have the Nikon D50 with the 18-70mm kit lens. Please tell me what I

am doing wrong. Here are the photo details.

No flash, ISO 400, resol. 1504x1000, F/L 70mm, exp/ 1/800th sec, apt

f/4.5, metering mode-matrix, using Manual Mode. Please tell me what I

am doing wrong. I am also using a mono pole. Thank all of you for

your responses.

Bird feeder is ~9ft from the window I shoot through. Even with 70mm lens the bird is small in the full picture. I guess I am cropping 10% of the picture to get the size of the bird I want. I used a light digitalization adjustment to sharpen the picture. I do drink a lot of coffee at night (I work 3rd shift)and take a most of my pictures in the morning after getting home, and did not use the flash. Sounds like all of you had good possible reasons for the ghosting around the birds. I will try some of the suggestions and see if it corrects the problem.

"I guess I am cropping 10% of the picture"

If by that you mean you are cropping out 90% of the pixels and using the remaining 10%, then I'm not too surprised you would see some type of edge artifact... expecially if 'in camera' sharpening happens to be turned on.

If the resolution is at 1504x1000, that's only 1.5 megapixels out of a 6 megapixel camera. Since you say you're on "fine jpg" I assume you mean that you've cropped it down to 1504x1000 from the original 2000x3000 or so that the camera shoots. That's like using about one-fourth of a negative, so it's going to make your image look a lot worse. I have a similar setup for birds and use a 300mm or my 500mm to get close at maybe 10-15 feet max. A 70mm isn't anywhere near what you need for this type of photography. The other issue is that you said you're shooting through a window. That could explain the ghosting -- you're shooting through at least one layer of non-optical window glass, possibly two or even three if you have modern "thermal pane" windows with an air space between the sheets of glass. And even if you're windexed the window for the sake of photography, it still isn't clean to the point that a camera lens would be clean. I think that's the most likely source of ghosting.

I know I need more zoom, but right now I have the Nikon 50mm, f/1.8 on back order and will need to save more money for my next purchase. What do you recommend for $500 to $600 dollars. It also needs to work as a sport lens for indoor volleyball and basketball.

Tim, That 50mm 1.8 will work for basketball if you can manage to get behind the goal and have somewhat decent light. A better choice for both sports would be an 80mm 1.4 or better, unfortunately, neither of these would be good for wildlife photography in my opinion. Unless, of course, you are very sneaky.

I've got a 70-200 f 2.8 autofocus for a Nikon that I'll never use having switched to Canon.

It's for sale.

elf@cape.com

my 75-300 on my Canon 10D with 1.6 multiplier gets goldfinches at 4 feet so they fill about

a third of the viewfinder, through double window glass on a tripod.

Well, they've pretty much abandoned the feeder in the interest of nesting, but once in a while

one comes by and they're a whole lot golder than they were in the winter.

I'll try attaching my image of the winter one.<div>00G8fx-29558084.jpg.604c57ad19e7d41497370dd44f5f2056.jpg</div>

"What do you recommend for $500 to $600 dollars."

If you are willing to buy used on auction, the Nikon 300mm f/4 AF can be found in the $400 to $500 range. Very sharp, and you can use a Kenko 1.4x teleconvertor. One of the best deals out there. -Greg-

It depends on what kind of sports, too. F 4 is too slow for most sports even at ISO 3200.

That's why I bought the f2.8, which is marginal. When I shot basketball for the paper we

pushed the Ilford 400 to 6400 in processing. It was only for newsprint, after all.