TFT Monitor Recommendation.

My CRT monitor has failled and I need to replace it. I would like to

replace it with a TFT monitor as I have heard many bad things

regarding the danger of long term CRT radiation exposure.

Please could current TFT Photoshop users, and those with a good

knowledge / experience of these monitors, recommend to me specific

makes and models of TFT monitors. Ones that are good enough to use

for photographic manipulation / digital darkroom purposes.

Thanks.

Hi, I have just spent the last few days researching this and as a result have just bought a Dell Ultrasharp 1905FP. It's not the fastest around if you like gaming (20ms response time) but it uses a Samsung screen which is a full 8 bit colour depth and not 6 bit like most others. This means it has better colour accuracy which is a must for photo work. It is adjustable for height and can rotate into portrait position. These monitors are reasonably priced and offer excellent value for money. There are others but this one still tops most reviewers lists.

My vote goes to the Viewsonic VP201 or similar VP models, because of the 1600x1200 resolution. Viewing angle is excellent (much better than others I have seen), luminance is even across the screen. I have been able to match it to the prints reasonably well.

Thank you for the replies and recommendations.

Regarding budget, I did not really have one. I just wanted to identify a decent TFT that is up to the job. It has been very hard to do so.

The best TFT monitors seem to range from ?500 up. The seemingly best is about ?800, although, of course, the sky is the limit price-wise.

I think that new technology (SED, I think) will be emerging in the next few years to replace LCD's. And as the price of LCD's falls all the time, I at this point will not be buying a top-of-the-range model. I will instead try my luck with a cheaper model, but will base my ultimate decision on what the reviewers write. I will also not buy a monitor without the option of returning it for a full refund after trying it out, just in case it is as nasty as I fear so many are. If the lower-priced monitors (listed below) do prove to be unusable for detailed photographic work, then I will have to, I suppose, pay out for a more expensive one that is.

That said, I have narrowed my list of possible TFT monitors down to the following:

AG Neovo F419 R12 - ?192.69 http://www.skysolutions.co.uk/acatalog/F-419__R12_.html

Hyundai ImageQuest L90D = 19" - @?275

Iiyama Prolite E481S-B3 TCO-99 - @?300

Viewsonic VX924 - @?300

If anyone has experience of the above monitors, please post your views here. I would be very pleased to hear from you.