Good flash for an M2?

YES! And I'm wondering how best to use two in synch, perhaps both capable of lighting large spaces together or doing more complex things...maybe recent intelligent Nikons...the ones that produce a "modeling light" burst ?

Either the Metz 44 MZ-2, or the 34 CS-2 from Metz would both be good options for you. The 44 MZ-2 has interchangeable modules, so if you decide to upgrade to an M6 TTL or an M7 you could still use this flash. The 34 CS-2 comes with a sync cord already (something you would need to add to the 44 MZ-2). You can find full specs on Bogen's website www.bogenimaging.us. Good luck.

The "Old Reliable" is the Vivitar 283, been on the market essentially unchanged for 30+ years, gobs of accessories available, 4 (reliable!)auto ranges plus manual. Used ones often go for $30 or less. The older ones have too high a trigger voltage to be safe with the latest cameras, but they won't hurt an M2.

Mike--- In keeping with the unobtrusive nature of your M2, I would suggest a very small flash device, such as one of the Rolleiflash units that uses two AA batteries. Sunflash and Vivitar also made tiny

flash units.

One of the large Vivitar 283 or the big Metz units defeats the purpose

of a small camera-flash combination.

If I feel that I need a lot of light and extension flashes, I would

usually take a Hasselblad or Rolleiflex,rather than a Leica, as the sdvantages of subtilty

and unobtrusiveness are already compromised.

I got an Olympus S20 maybe a year ago on someone's recommendation and I really like it. It gives about 1 stop more light than the Vivitar 2800 and 252 which were my previous stanbyes, and recycles much quicker. The only bugaboo with using it on an M2 (I've got an M4 and M3, same deal) is you need one of those adaptors that has a hot shoe and a little PC cord attached. Actually it helps reduce redeye because it raises the flash up another inch.