Leaky A12 Hasselblad back - follow up!

daniel_loflin

Howdy... just a quick follow-up regarding the leaky A12 back I posted about a few weeks

ago.<p>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00FlkQ">previous

thread</a>

<p>

When I ordered the light trap parts from hasselblad, I didn't mention to include the thin,

black foil strip... didn't know I had to. So, I only got the foamy foil strip and a new dark

slide. So when I took the plate off the A12 to change it out, as Dave Diehl suggested I

could (and he's right, it's very easy), I found I was one part short. <p>

So I called Samy's camera in LA (where I live) to see if I could just buy the black foil part

from them... I spoke with Mike in repairs. Not only did they have the part, he said that I

could come by anytime from 10-6 on weekdays and he'd replace the light trap parts for

me, or anyone, free of charge (parts not included, but they're $9, I think).<p>

Go figure. Could have saved two weeks with a simple call to the repair shop. Did not

expect that.<p>

I shot a test roll with the new light trap parts and here it is! Thanks to everyone who

posted in my previous thread. Hope this bit of news helps!<p>

<a href="http://www.danloflin.com/files/leaky2/">Fixed it!</a>

Make sure to take photos in the bright sun, at different angles to the sun, taking a decent

length of time between exposures to confirm that the light trap resolved the issue.

Sometimes light leaks are caused by a poor fit between a back and a body. A dropped

back can be deformed.

Taras

interesting. I'm no PS guru or anything like that but all my fotos ever need is just some lightening or darkening (seldom). I've yet to see any of my fotos off kilter by that much.

Of course yellow can be expected if I shoot under tungsten. Maybe it was the time of day you shot?

I shot at dusk and the color didn't come out any different than I remember... it was pretty

blue out there. But I did process it myself in the jobo, which could explain a lot. Haven't

really mastered that thing yet. I won't put anything critical in there... just test rolls, really.

I see. I do the same thing at times testing gear and get hammered over it. Some pix come out soft, not critically focused. Generally I'm testing film or method of shooting, or just plain forget to focus type of thing.

I had alot of leak problems w/ new/used hassie backs. The guys at the camera store thought I was losy photog not realizing I was simply trying to sort things out w/ 8 hassie backs. I did finally fix them.

I laughed when they said that I had improved.

You can't take things too serious in this business.

I'm practicing alot more than in the past so that when paid jobs come up I'm good to go.

Good shooting!

By all means... hammer all you want, fellas. If you think a blue shift might occur by way of

poor processing I'd love to hear your theories why. I kept the temperature up to spec and the

rest of the rolls I did in the same batch came out acceptable, but for some reason this one

did come out looking rather blue.

I've never shot VS before, though. Perhaps it requires special handling.

Know what? I remember that something odd happened during that batch. During the first

developer stage, I noticed a bluish tint in the bath water and thought to myself, "damn... I

bet some developer didn't get into the tank for whatever reason." Never happened before,

so after I was done I ran some water through the lift to make sure everything was a-okay

and it was. Just did a coupla rolls of b&w and they came out perfect, so I figure it must

have been a mounting issue with the tank.

The water was quite blue, so perhaps these two rolls were undeveloped or something,

causing that color shift. The other roll I shot was E100G, first time with that film too, and

it came out WAY over-exposed for the most part which is why I didn't notice the color shift

there... different from the VS, but still shifted. Hmm.