No Words: Spiders

hayward

" I put moths in the web, so she grew really big...."

We had one in the house that we fed flies, but after a while she got lazy and stopped repairing her web. Pretty soon she became dependent. Eventually she had a bunch of babies and died, and we decided we'd better not continue subsidizing a bunch of complacent welfare spiders, so we exiled them.

Vivek, I took a 16x20 C print of the spider, hung it up on a line in my backyard, doused it with lighter fluid and photographed it with my D70 while burning. I was experimenting with how the fire affected the plastic coating of the print (bubbles etc.). In truth, it was probably a subconcious effort on my part to attack a fear I have of spiders.

The photo is "nice", Tim, but really I am uneasy about the burning. I do macro of insects and spiders so that I don't have to capture them and leave them as they are in nature. Sorry if this sounds like I am moralising. I do apologise if I offend you but I really like nature left alone :)

I wish you guys could have seen me the first time I tried photgraphing a big ugly spider with

my 105 micro and the stupid thing moved as I was looking at it through the viewfinder and I

screamed "BLEEP" and jumped about 5 feet and then ran away from the camera and tripod.