Nikon lens 80-200 (first version without lens stand)

focus mankind

I've seen an used lens mentioned in the topic for CHF 590 which is

about a bit less than 500 $. It's the first version Nikon 80-200mm

AF/2.8 ED version (without a tripot stand, not AF-D).

According to different reviews this lens is a winner.

The purpose is allround but mainly nature, people (and just seldom

sport).

I don't trouble with the missing stand.

But I'd like to know, whether I should rethink (to get it) due to

any other reason. Any feedback is highly appreciated.

thnx in advance.

focus

btw: i added this question to another thread - suprisingly (to me)

the thread does not appear on top of the list, so its fairly sure, I

don't get any answers.

I used to have this lens. Optically it is good and the same as the current AF-D with tripod collar version. AF is extremely slow to a point that it is next to useless. Most people prefer to have a collar so that this version is out of favor.

A few years ago, I sold mine for US$500. I would imagine that its price is quite a bit lower than that by now, but US$500 may still be a good price in Europe.

Shun is incorrect about the AF speed of this lens. It's not slow, it's just dependant on the strength of the AF motor in your body. If you have a body with a weak motor like a D70 or F80, it won't be fast, if you have a body with a strong motor like a F90x, F100 or F5 it will be quite fast, almost as fast as the AF-S version.

I have the lens in question and yes, it's very sharp and excellent. I find on a D100 the

focus is fine if you can set the focus limiter switch on the lens to something other than the

full focus range. So if you know you're going to be shooting something way off in the

distance, just set the lens accordingly and the AF speeds up dramatically.

The one-touch design of this lens makes it easy to manually focus and zoom at the same

time as well. The only wink link there is my D100's dim and small viewfinder.

I have this lens and I use it on an F100. Autofocus is slow, but if you use it intelligently it is usable. Prefocus so the lens doesn't have to drive all the way from one extreme to the other. Use the focus limiter if you can to reduce the focus range. I've shot a lot of sports and moving subjects with this lens with good success.

As an added bonus, this lens handles way better on manual Nikon cameras and in manual-focus mode than the two-touch lens. It's well damped and you can zoom and focus with one ring. Although I hope one day to have the AF-S 80-200/2.8, I won't sell this lens; it's too useful.

Your contributions are very helpful to me.

Sharpness is the maincriteria besides money. I'm not willing to buy a new pro lens - I may even struggle to explain the need for this lens to my wife (don't get that wrong - I'm happy she sets limits).

I understood, that this lens is a great lens but slow. Sports is not in my mainfocus and things I take picture of, are mostly static.

My preferred lens is a 105mm micro - and I'm happy with it. Since I've mounted it very often, I set limit not having control over the crop. That's why I'd wish a tele-zoom for better control of the crop and to get a bit nearer.

So therefore I really think to get it.

F.M. I have it, and it has greater sharpness than the 70~200 E.D. Vibration Reduction. Its push-pull design, while a bit clunky because it has a tendency to 'fall' as it hangs from your shoulder to the 80 mm position, actually is an advantage in what I do most -- street shooting.

The push-pull zoom feature, actually works quite efficiently (aside from the gravity pull zoom when hanging at your arm if it's a bit older and looser).

Yes, it focuses slower on all cameras and less surely on the D70 than the F5 which drives it surely and with great power. The D2X and the D200 both drive it quite well, but it surely is nowhere near the AFS versions in terms of speed and therefore not suitable for sports action where precise, fast focus is called for.

(It does have a focus limiter collar -- to prevent time-wasting 'hunting' as it searches through the focus range for a suitable in-focus return with three settings.)

My 70~200 ED V.R. is in the shop on a warranty repair, and I'm shooting with my 80~200 and doing so happily. I pack it as a backup when I'm 'street shooting' far away. It's tack sharp throughout almost its entire zoom range and at $500 or less it's a bargain. If I feel my equipment might be in danger, I'll switch to the cheaper lens (the 80~20) as I can better afford the loss. Its huge mass allows for acceptable hand-held focusing at very low shutter speeds, IF you're a steady holder, as I am, although a V.R. lens greatly enhances that (and allows me sometimes to exceed 1 second hand held at 200 mm with the V.R. version.)

Since you have indicated you won't be using it for 'speed focusing' buy confidently, but make sure you can test it first. I bought mine from E-Bay, but from a U.S. federal judge's law clerk, herself a court officer, and happily so because the U.S. Postal Service lost the money order for 30 days, making me look like a piker (but the date of money order purchase proved my promptness to her, and I avoided negative feedback and the purchase ultimately was concluded very happily -- we kept up good communications and became very friendly.)

John (Crosley)

AF of that lens is not that bad, if not used in a F80 class body. I used that with F90X, F4, with the focus limiting function on the lens, speed is fine. when i use that on D70/D100/F75/F401, it sound like the motor is not powerful enough to drive that lens.

lack of tripod collar is frustrating... that became even worse when i switched to digital since FOV became narrower and easier to suffer from shake so i gotta use tripod more often. zoom creep is another problem if use that lens on tripod.

optically, the 80-200 is very good, although probably not the best among similar lens but that it's good enough anyway.

i switched to 70-200 VR. wider at the short end, VR, no zoom creep, faster and slient AF, tripod collar, better 'bokeh'. the only thing i miss the 80-200 is the pull-push design (ok, i know i'm weired, but pull-push is easier to rotate the camera when shooting) and the smallish hood. hate the huge hood of the 70-200 (well, some might that it makes them looks cool).

i think that any of these lenses are tough to hold without the tripod collar. The collar is a

very nice grip and I wouldn't dare try to hang the weight of this lens off a lens mount. you'd

be asking for trouble.

"...and I wouldn't dare try to hang the weight of this lens off a lens mount..."

I decided to go for it -tomorrow, since the shops closed today.

It never came to my mind, it could trouble my D200 . Does anybody share this opinion, that it could damage either the mount, the bottom (when camera is attached to the tripod and the lens is mounted) or any other part?

FM, I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that a lens with that kind of length and weight can damage the mount of the camera. There's a dang good reason why they don't make it any more.

If you're not going to use it handheld full time, you'd be better getting a version that has a tripod mount. Otherwise, you're going to spend more tracking down a tripod bracket for it (like the old Kirk, no longer in production) or playing with solutions like a V yoke for your tripod than you would just to step up to the tripod collar version.

• 5 months later...

I use this lens, originally with an 801s (known as an 8008 in the USA I think) and now with a D50.

Personally I never found the autofocus to be noticeably 'slow' with either body, but I've no experience with other makes or the newer internal autofocus motors to compare the speed against. Then again, I don't need the instant reaction speed that a photo journalist or sports photographer might. The Limiter switch is certainly useful, so if you know you're shooting long range stuff, set the switch accordingly to prevent the lens hunting all the way through it's focus range.

I probably have this lens on the camera maybe 50% of the time, but 90% of my all time best shots were with taken with it :-)

As to the weight - yes, it's heavy, but I like that, it steadies the shot.

An unexpected benefit when in crowded places where you're surrounded by non-photographers - there's something about lugging a large and heavy piece of glass around that just gets you more respect and room ! Limber up for a shot in a crowded area with this beauty hanging off the front of your camera and folks will accomodatingly lean out of your way. Lesser lenses just *don't* command the same respect :-)

Last point regarding the admittedly intimidating weight and how to hold it. I have used this on a tripod in a studio context, but briefly and rather nervously. No damage to camera or lens, but it sure feels un-natural (not to mention downright scary !) having that amount of unsupported weight hanging off the front of a camera... For handholding I've bolted on the Nikon AH-4 which snugs a leather grip around the outside of your right hand - makes using this lens soooo comfortable. Just let the camera hang lens down from a straight arm, raise it with elbow high when ready to shoot and cup the lens from below to take the weight when you raise the camera to shooting position. Once you get comfortable with the AH-4 you can let the camera dangle free from the back of your hand while using your right hand to manipulate things and still have the camera instantly ready to go.