gary_fan

Moderators: please hold it for 48 hours and delete it(the deal won't

last for 48 hours:)

D3ll Home has the prosumer Canon EOS 20D 8.2 MegaPixel Digital SLR

Body for $1499 - 25% off code 0J59R6W09H18TN [Exp 8/30, 200 uses] =

$1124 with free shipping. Tax might apply. In CA after tax it is

$1217, still a good deal.

I am no referal or anything like that, just want to share some good

with our lovely forum members. Myself in for one.

Why would you want the 350 if you can get the 20D? BTW, all this talk about the 20D price

dropping -- I'm not sure I buy it. It may fall (like any camera does) but just b/c the 5D is

now released I don't see why it'll push the 20D price down.

I hate to be a pain but is there anyway you could tell me what it would be in euros ?

If the 20D drops to at least 1000 euros (thats what the 350D is now here in ireland) before christmas i will most likely change to that, im only 17 and most of the money is coming from my mother but i have 200 euro saved for it so far :)

Also I dont like the look off the circular button on the 20D anyone feel the same ? Oh the 5fps would be very handy because I want to do skateboarding sequences !

Although, I have no intention of buying anything, I thought just for fun to see what a great deal these are. Using the XT as an example, the bottom line, they are not great deals. Why they charge sales tax while BH does not is beyond me. By ordering through D3ll, one would save a whopping $45. So what? That extra $45 is well spent at BH because next day means next day in my hands.

Dell always charges sales tax in their 'office' store, but generally does not in their 'home' side, with few exceptions.

The listings given look like they came from techbargains.com, which is a wonderful place to check out frequently (updated hourly) for deals like this.

You find out quickly, for instance, that the best deal for a Dell computer can be found when the 'office' half of the business offers free shipping, because sales tax on a $300 computer is almost always less ($20 or so) than paying the customary $50 shipping charged. A CPU and monitor will set you back $100 shipping, unless Dell waives the shipping. That's a big punch in the wallet for a $300 system.

Recently, Dell has been advertising 1-day specials in the newspapers for a $299 system with monitor, but you will find that they charge $100 shipping, even if you delete the crappy monitor for $20 credit. They throw in a 'free' printer, but you have to pay $25 for a printer cable, and $75 for proprietary Dell ink cartridges to run it, so it's not much of a deal, either. Better to wait for them to offer 'double memory' for free and/or a boost in drive capacity (40 GB --> 80 GB) and/or free DVD/CD-burner. Better deals than the ones that bundle monitors and/or printers, or sometimes even PDAs or cameras.

Check out the 'outrageous deals' link along the left side of the techbargains.com page. Also, the weekly circular listings for big-box stores, like Best Buy, CompUSA, and Circuit City, Office Depot, and the like.

I've also upgraded my college-age daughter's system with motherboard, CPU, memory, and video card purchased from newegg, via a listing in techbargains.com. techbargains.com tend to list only reputable online dealers in the main listings. If you use the pricegrabber quide, though, all bets are off (buyer beware).

Also alerted recently to a deal on Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware edition. After discounts and rebates, Norton is paying me 5 cents to buy it from my local Staples store.

I love techbargains.com 8-)

I keep clocking out, getting frustrated with coupons not working, hanging when I page back. To me the D3ll web site is an exercise in exasperation. It's hard to find stuff on their web site, and then to top it off they charge sales tax! (I have a fast cable connection, so it's not my fault -- it takes me less than 2 seconds to find stuff on B&H, for example.)

Anyway, if you want a bargain on the 20D you might want to wait for the fall rebates to come out -- usually sometime around the end of September.

The nice thing about techbargains.com is that they give you a direct link to the item in question, circumventing all the usual hunt 'n click on Dell's site. They even give you the coupon codes, and links to rebate forms, etc., so you don't have to hunt all that stuff down yourself.

The reason Dedll charges sales tax is because they are legally required to do so. If an internet seller has a Nexus in your state, they must charge sales tax. A Nexus means they have a physical connection (location) in your state. It could be a store (as in PA, my state), factory, warehouse, etc.

Many states are upset that internet sellers are not obligated to charge sales tax for any sales into theur state. In theory, the purchaser is required to declare sales tax payable if not charged by the seller, but states do not enforce this requirement.

This was all part of the law passed by the US Congress several years ago but the law is subejct to renewal in a few years time, so it may be changed in future to require sellers to charge sales tax on any sales into any state (provided the state has a sales tax, of course).

Dell's charging of sales tax is not perversity on their part, they are complying with the law.