show. Every other corner had a pinhole. Worse, the pinholes are

highly directional, so you have to try lots of angles while painting

in a repair. I used opaque black Createx fabric paint with some

additives. Seems to work ok. I have to wonder, were these ever light

tight right from the factory? With so little use, how did the holes

open up? There isn't any sign of deteriation or hardening of the

surface, just lots of holes. Anyway, thanks to the forum for making

me have a look.

Too many of us store our view cameras all squished together. You should actually let the bellows be stored in a relaxed state. Keeping the bellows squished tight while in storage begs making holes at the corners of the pleats. When you are shooting the bellows are usually racked out in a somewhat relaxed state. Very little compression and extention is observed this way. That's the way you should store the camera so as to extend the life of the bellows. Everytime you store the camera with the bellows all squished together, you keep the pleats compressed and then you extend them and put strain on them everytime.

I also found that a great repair material for pinholes in bellows is that plastic goop that mechanics use to coat there screw driver shanks. It comes in red and black. Home Cheapo, most hardware and auto parts stores seem to have it. I repaired the corners of the bellows on my old Gundlach Wizard using the stuff. Made a big difference. Just a tiny dab will fill in most pinholes. Now I need to get some good strong spring metal to make new springs for the back.

James -- Thank you for the tip.

I ought to look for that product. My Calumet has numerous pinhole light leaks in the corners. Originally I planned to use a mixture of white glue and lamp black to cover the holes. The product you mentioned sounds easier to manage.

An update- since I'm near Rochester NY, I went over to Turner Bellows and ordered a new bellows, about $150. Delivery is about 4 weeks. A Mr. Merry gave me a quick tour of the place, and it's kinda neat. Bellows making comes down to skill and craft. IMO, the more you do, the better you get. They have a couple people who've been at it there for something like 19 years. They still have steady commercial business, but "personal" replacement bellows orders come in at a few per month, depending. From what I can see, bellows making is not a big growth area! My advice to anyone needing a new bellows is not to wait a decade, but to order it while there's still some volume production going on. Their material is a very nice commercial rubberized fabric, and they use two layers of it, with custom cut stiffeners for the panels. They claim no returns for light leaks, so I don't expect any pinholes out of this one for many years to come!