Anyone Using Continous Lighting for Formals?

jojo_goldbloom

Most folks, myself included, don't get fancy with formal lighting. What is generally most important is to have the group evenly lit, without casting shadows from one person in the group onto another. For large groups in dark environments, having enough power from your lights is a real factor. Continous light sources are good for seeing how you are lighting, but don't put out much light relative to flashes. Even a shoe mount flash, fired into an umbrella is better suited to groups.

You'll probably find some videographers with experience using those kinds of lights. While Photoflex seems to hope still photographers will buy into the notion of using their StarLights, these are really intended for video/cinematography.

I can see some advantages, such as being able to readily see whether the illumination is even or shadows are where you want them. But the setup and teardown factor would seem to be a hassle unless you have an assistant.

FWIW, tho', yeh, I'd considered renting some continuous lighting for a wedding tomorrow if the church lighting had turned out to be troublesome. But their interior lighting is okay and the place isn't so big that a single good on camera flash can't handle the job. I've recruited one of my nieces to hold a reflector for me. That's about as fancy as I plan to get.

Some people love him, some people hate him, but <a href="http://shutterbug.com/columns/0705master/">Monty Zucker</a> seems to like The Westcott Spiderlite to simulate window light.<P>

I've tried some continuous lighting for portraits and quite liked the results - even moreso if I make B&W's out of them. But they aren't called "hotlights" for nothing and you can really make a subject sweat using them.

Absolutely YES is my answer.

Several wedding photographers I know use the LOWEL iLIGHT on their DSLRs during the

reception. They wear a battery belt to power it.

http://www.lowel.com/ilight/

One in particular, Bruce Dorn (http://www.idcphotography.com) uses Frezzi Mini-fills with

a 100 watt globe (artfully hidden from view) to continuously light problematic ceremony

venues in a totally unobtrusive, elegant and tasteful manner. the results are stunning!<div>00D7LE-25028584.jpg.2a0709ffbf85ec63e64ab0d3b596f0df.jpg</div>

JoJo I am not familiar with the light products you have mentioned. But as I read on in the thread, I must agree with Dave Schilling's post that the videographer beams nice light under many circumstances.

Friday night while shooting a practice wedding (once again and getting sick of the purple theme) I had this discussion with the videographer. Numerous times he lit an opportunity or two for me.

Dont rule out continuous light you as well as I need more opinion on this.

Good luck!