scott ream

Hello,

I am looking for a Lens to give me the equivilent of a 50mm on my

D70. I would also like it to be compatiable with my D70, 6006, and

also an F100 when I buy one. It seems the only choice is the Nikon

35mm (digital equiv of 52mm) f/2 D lens. Since it has an apeture

ring it should also be usable on my EL2, right. The f2 apeture should

be perfect for what I want to use it for. Does anyone have positive

or negative experiences with this particular lens?

Thanks,

Scott

Good lens; just beware if you buy from a source like ebay, since you might run into an old, old sample of the lens, which may have oil on the aperture blades.

You can have it cleaned, but best to avoid it to begin with. Later samples did not exhibit this problem.

Just a friendly CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Thanks for the quick responses! Yes I am only looking for a prime. I have looked at the 35-70 but right now it is out of my price range. I have around $800 to spend but I need to buy an SB-800 and tripod/head which will eat up over half of that. The kit lens with the D70 is terrific but a little slow for indoor handheld if I want to keep the ISO at 200. I will look on ebay to see if I can save some money.

Thanks,

Scott

If you don't mind slightly wider, I go with an old 28mm AIS. It will come out to be about 42mm with digital but it's killer sharp. Well, atleast on my D1x. But I could imagine it being sharper on the D70. Sharpness was awesome and color contrast was great. Unfortunately, you'll lose your metering if you use it on the D70. Anyway, just a thought.

Nikon evidentally fixed a problem with oil on the blades of the 35mm f2 AFD back in 2001 -recent samples don't have it. It comes with a 5 year warranty if you buy the USA version, which is being offered with a mail-in rebate this month so that the price is roughly the same as gray market, about $265 from B&H. I recently replaced my 35mm f2 AIS with this lens, and it seems to me markedly better: sharper, almost flare-proof and the manual focus feel on my sample is very good for an AF lens, important to me because I use it on both an F100 and an FM3a.

Scott, you mentioned you also need to fit a tripod/head into your budget. While you're shopping take a look at the Slik 300DX and 700DX. They're probably the best buys in their class.

The 300DX legset is comparable to the Bogen/Manfrotto 3001, but better. I have both and much prefer the Slik. However I have a Velbon magnesium ballhead on the legset instead of the original tilt/panhead.

The 700DX is comparable to the B/M 3021. Here the gap is narrower - the Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 leglocks are a bit more difficult for me to operate but I have arthritis in my right thumb. The 3021 locks probably won't bother most folks but I'd go for the Slik.

I can't think of any other Slik tripod I'd recommend, tho', other than their carbon fiber legset which is pretty good for the money. I also have a Slik U212DX which is under $100 but it's a real oddball. I like it but I mostly use it as a lightstand or reflector holder. The legs are essentially infinitely adjustable so it's fairly easy to set it up at odd angles to be stable with even a 42" reflector attached via a Wescott holder.