Hasselblad 250mm cf ,helicoid free play

simon_platt1

Hi There

I have just purchased a used Zeiss 250mm cf lens in excellant

optical and external mechanical condition and am looking for a bit

of advice from those members who own one of these lenses.

When I move the focus ring left and right there seems to be a small

amount of free play in the helicoid.

Is this normal with these lenses? as the helicoid does have a fair

amount of weight to move?

If it is not normal can it be corrected by servicing and

relubrication or should I take it back to the dealer I got it from

and get a refund?

Thanks

Simon

A certain amount of free play is normal - there is a double helix with a floating element and a couple of keyways, any of which may have some play. If the lens is in good shape otherwise (not an obvious amount of wear, other than on the bayonet), a factory CLA will probably restore the smooth action. The grease fills the inevitable voids and removes obvious lost motion.

All my CF lenses (250 and 50 FLE), 80 CFE, previous CF80 do not have the free play you mention.

My old C80 (chrome) have free play that various CLA never been able to eliminate?

This could be due of an heavy use of the lens, I would give it back to the dealer if this free play bother you when you use it.

Simon,<br><br>Much will depend on how much play there is. If it's barely perceptible, it's a thing that balances the lower price (compared to new) you pay for a used lens (we cannot expect used items to be really as good as new, can we?).<br>If it is very distinct, i'd discuss it with the person you got it from. See if you can get to some arrangement, and have it either send of to be looked after (depending on who's paying for it perhaps with a partial refund), or get a full refund.<br><br>My 23 year old CF 250 mm is as smooth today as it ever was. No play in the focussing ring whatsoever.<br>However, there is when the lens is fully extended and you twist the lens, holding it by the 'static' bits on either end of the lens. That play has always been there. It's tiny though.

None of my new Hasselblad new lenses came with free play, and none ever developed it. A used lens I once purchased had some free play. I eventually decided to sell it, partially for that reason (compulsive?).

Based on my experience it must take a lot of use to result in free play.

As the above Hasselblad expert noted, little things like this are difference between used and new.....life is a compromise!

Based on your post, I suspect this may always bother you. If so, even if it makes no difference on the image, is the money savings worth this to you? If not, return it. For me, feeling the free play EVERY time I focus a lens really starts to bother me. I don't think I could ever notice any image degradation, but the concept, on such expensive, perfectionist equipment, really bothered me so I ended up going all new.

My brand new RZ67 always had free play on the fine focus knob (rack system). Although I LOVE the image quality, and I know this is normal for new RZ's, it irritates me to this day. Again, everything's a compromise.......

Hi Simon,

From my experience as Camera Technician of 46 years and 35 doing Hasselblads, your problem probably is not caused by a worn helicoid thread, but 6 tiny nylon thrust buttons that are between the focus control ring and the rear of the shutter housing.

This is a reasonably big job to fix but if anyone is experienced with H/Blad lens and has the facilities to manufacture nylon buttons, it certainly can be fixed.

This only refers to the Synchro-Compur shutters not the latest CF lenses.

When you have a moment, check out my website at www.owenphotographicrepairs.com and you will be able to see what it is that I do, especially the Flexbody section.

Regards,

Eric