RB Waist-level finder - change from old to new design

robatsgh

Can anyone tell me when Mamiya switched WL finder designs from the old-style

two-step folder to the current single-action finder with the hinged side panels?

I'm trying to date an RB67 Pro-S outfit for a friend who's looking to buy one,

with all original accessories, but I don't have access to the serial number on

the body. He wants an idea of how old the kit is (and can gauge the amount of

use) before he makes an offer.

Thanks.

His question is a bit of a non-sequitur. Age doesn't imply wear. It could of been in heavy use for 10 years and then put in a closet for 8 more. Whats more, if it has been in professional use, the likelyhood that parts have been traded among bodies is pretty good. That being said, these cameras were built to be used day in and day out, but also serviced regularly. I guess the thing to do is lay hands on it. Are the light traps gummy or clean? Does the RB adapter rotate smoothly and lock where it should? Bellows in good shape and light tight? Focusing rack operate smoothly? Any edge seperation on the lens elements? Shutter cock and mirror return function smoothly? Timing the shutter(s) would be a good idea if you can get the lens(s) to a camera shop that does repairs.

If the owner is willing, you might see if (s)he will let you run a roll of film through. Be sure to include some shots of newspaper taped flat to a wall to check the lens mount is true.

Expect to pay for a Clean, lube and Adjust unless one has been done recently. Pro-S's aren't commanding big bucks anymore, at least not on flea bay.

I realize all of that. This is an online sale, of course, so no chance of physical inspection other than the photos provided. It evidences some wear, and the seller's pretty honest about the paces they've put it through, but they're not the original owner.

The question isn't age=wear. The question is, he knows (generally) how much wear is shown on the body, but would like to compare that to the age. A certain amount of wear on an older body indicates a much heavier use/abuse when the same amount is seen on a newer one.

I've got a Pro-SD setup, and my knowledge of the system doesn't extend back to earlier vintage gear. Since I only have correspondance with the seller (she doesn't know when it was purchased by the original owner, a deceased relative) and photos to judge overall condition, I'm just trying to ballpark it to give my buddy a yay/nay recommendation on the asking price.