yesterday i was born for a second time.

i never thought getting my hands on a sinar f1 before my 25th

birthday and yesterday it happened, i felt reborn! it came with

rodenstock sironar N 150mm f.6 MC, rodenstock rironar N 210mm 5.6 MC

and schneider-kreuznach 65mm 5.6 MC along with binoloupe, and sinar

zoom1 casette multiformat changable format for 1675 euros (2000 us

dollars) everything in mint condition. the 6x12 format is

exceptionally nice for natural environments, where the other formats

are for me more fittable in studio experiments.

i alwas was used to carrying extra ordinary heavy and bulky equipment

into the fields, but now i have ahuge problem: i can't see how to

bring it with me on a backpack... (the volume is to great to fit into

any bag!?)

the RZ ProII with two lenses fitted without ny problem in my lowepro

aw trekker pro ii, so did the eos 1v in conjunction with the fuji gw

690 and a spare zoom lens for the eos 1v...

now only the sinars zoom casette and the three lenses fit in the

lowepro aw trekker ii and the rest (mainly the whole camera) is left

out of the bag and left me with a few "?" marks hovering above my

head.

who recognises the situation and can give some advice?

p.s. i didn't wanted toyo, calumet,p2, p3 or ebony becuase i can't

find any of these nor asseccories in the netherlands and the price

tags shocked my wallet, that is why i bought the f1 set.

thanx a thousand,

Sam, aaaalmost ready to backpack on a journey to Cuba

www.eftegarie.nl<div>00CfLY-24326484.thumb.jpg.ae588adafc0f8d163f37d9c93d03be54.jpg</div>

I use a regular backpack for my 4x5 -- For a long time I was packing around a graflex Graphic View -- which I know you'll recognize as a fairly bulky camera ~ 8 lbs. -- which is best packed by sliding both standards to one end of the 13" rail, making an L-shape and wrapping the dark cloth around it and putting it into the corner of my pack.

My favorite bag to date is the Kelty Redwing 3650 -- which you may find is not quite big enough for you -- but there are many bigger bags (they have one at ~4500 - too). Take all your gear over to the sporting goods store and try out all the bags, until you find one with easy acess that it all will fit in.

I am sure you will find a way. -- Maybe hire an assistant to carry it.

Shawn

Pack Animals such as goats or donkeys might work. . . GRIN. . . I have a Tenba backpack that is huge and I am sure it could take a view camera because it can hold my 8x10 2D. I was able to buy some dividers for the way I wanted the interior over the stock system. It is well padded, and the harness system is really nice for load adjustment. As for the rails this bag has two long fabric tubes (extra fee) that clamp on either side on the exterior. As well as a tripod pouch(included) that also snaps into the pack

There most likely are several ways for you to go but I wanted to share this info with you, Paul

Sam,

I backpacked a f1 for years before I moved to a Master Technica 2000.

I used a Lowepro super trekker, which worked fine. You might even be able to get it into a pro trekker.

For the camera, move the front standard all the way to the front of the monorail, and the rear standard all the way to the back of the monorail. Take off the lens board and pack elsewhere. Unclip the bellows from the rear standard. Loosen the front tilt and fold the front standard down toward the monorail, (the bellows will rest against the monorail.) Give the rear standard maybe 8 cm rise. then loosen the rear tilt and fold the rear standard "over" the front standard. This folded configuration fit easily in my pack.

Let us know if this works for you.

When I used my f1, I bought an adapter lens board so that I only had one of the huge Sinar boards (about 6 x 6 inches) which I left attached to the camera. All of my 5 lenses are mounted on Linhof boards (about 4 x 4 inches) which is much more manageable. I'm sorry, I bought the adapter board years ago from another photographer, and I can't point you to a current source. Perhaps some one else could help on that if you choose to make that change.

I hiked last year with a F1. A heavy beast for sure, but it will fit in the big lowepro.

I have a Lowepro dryzone, which is way to heavy to start, but it is nice in that you dont have to worry about falling into a river. At least the Eq will come out dry as long as its zipped. Its a small comfort when caught in the rain, but probably adds 5# min. to the overall weight.

Have you ever seen pictures of little old Edward Weston hauling his 8x10 and Ries tripod around the California "hills"? You're lucky that you're in flat Holland -- consider using a pram to carry everything. And congratulations!

Something I've been asking myself for years since I have an F2... But have never had the guts to try the swivel/tilt/fold/fold/swing operation. The reflex viewer... forget it. Dark clothes exist for a very good reason!<p>

Nobody has mentioned this, but that is a very cool seascape photo. Congrats!

Sam -

I'm hoping you're "folding" your Sinar down...the F1 and F2 can be compacted by (1)

releasing the bellows from the front standard, (2) moving both the front standard to one

end of the rail and the back one to the other end, (3) fold down the rear standard (the

bellows wil provide a cushion), (4) raise the front standard as high as it can go then fold it

over the rear. All of this requires removing the lensboard/lens first.

Have a good trip.

Thank you all,

Okey now let's see where i gan rent a goat :O)

I've got some new ideas based on thwt is said, the only thing remaining is the binoloupe, perhaps i should learn/get acustomed to the upside down image, and gain 2,3 liters of volume not nit brining the binoloupe...

i tried the folding down (including the cushioned version of the latest sumbitter, where he suggested to let the compendium sta on the rear holder. this way unfolding is even quicker.

i will submit images when i have my new bag! i can't wait to backpack this beast with me into some foreign country!

at 6x12 / 6 images per roll this will be a very timeconsuming but very relaxing way of photography...

cheers

Sam from Delft/Holland

Just an other way to compact your F. I park the standards on a 6" rail and when squashed seems to offer a reasionably compact mass. This also allows me to loosen and rotate the mount to snuggle up againts the bellows. I also have made a GG protector. To use i just attach the 12" rail and slide away. Pretty quick.

The P series isn't quite so favourable to travel compression!

• 2 months later...

I have been traveling with the Sinar F1 along with 4 lens all over the Pacific NW, Southwestern USA, and SE Asia. The way i had it was, i put the Sinar front and back standard locked up and cinched together on the 6" rail and laid down on its side. On the camera, the 210mm Sinaron lens with caps sits on the camera to save space. Below the lens, i placed the 12" rail extension to support the lens from rocking during transport. On both sides of the camera, i placed the foam pads provided with the Lowepro trekker II to form 6 different compartments to store the remaining 3 lenses, Pentax spot meter, wide angle bellow and small notebook, along with the 95mm Heliopan lens hood. At the bottom of the pack, there is a cushion, between the cushion and the bag bottom, i stored the step up rings for my 95mm filters and lens hood, along with the Sinar bellow support clips. I normally don't use the wide angle bellow unless needed for wide angle shootings, otherwise, i will use it for shielding against the mist from the waterfalls.

At bottom right of pack: Schneider f5.6 400mm Compact

Middle right: 1 Degree Pentax Spot Meter Zone VI

Top right: Wide angle below and small note book

At bottom left of pack: Schneider f8 120mm Super Angulon

Middle left: Sinaron W f6.8 90mm

Top left: Heliopan 95mm lens hood and Schneider 4x lupe

Inner pouch: B&W 95mm Kaesermann Warm Circ. Polarizer, B&W Yellow and Green Filter for black and white.

Until then, good luck on your next outdoor adventure and thanks for sharing with us the lovely photo.--Mikael