unless I want cropped images on all my scans I don't see any other

solution. Would using a glass mount be a problem? Do I need to use

some sort of liquid ? Do I need to wipe them for fingerprints ? I

would think the glass mount may cause some decrease in quality to

the scans? I also just read about a scan aid, it's called "the image

Mechanics Fluid Mount Tray", an accessory film holder for the 8000

ED and its successor, the Super Coolscan 9000ED. I'd appreciate your

imput ? thanks.

It would be a waste of time to unmount hundreds of slides. If the composition was OK during projection or viewing, why is it less so now? Furthermore, it is extremely difficult to scan (or print) 35mm film cut into individual frames. In the future, get your film processed uncut and unmounted. Does anyone even make a slide projector any more? I can't find mine.

Glass mounts add two layers (and 4 surfaces) of glass, which could adversely affect quality. There is also a mask which crops the image about the same as a standard mount. Wet mounting adds another order of magnitude of complexity. Kami mounting fluid is highly flammable, so you might want do this in a steel shed 50 feet from your house (and bring your will up to date).

You can figure on 4 to 6 minutes per slide, plus post processing in Photoshop. Unless you plan to make this project your career, I suggest you consider getting a Nikon 5000 with a slide feeder. At that point, consider spending a little more to get a 9000 if you might ever get into medium format (but only 5 mounted slides per batch).

It appears to me from the questions you've asked in this and a previous post that you'll need to do a lot of research and get some hands on experience before you'll be able to do "a lot of high quality 35mm scanning" and "lots of museum exhibition quality printing" no matter how much money you've got to spend. As far as the slide mounts cropping your image a little, I wouldn't be concerned about it. To make 11x14 and 16x20 prints you're going to have to crop (at least the long way) your slides anyway.

I've removed a few slides from their mounts and then just scanned the individual frames with my Minolta 5400. It wasn't difficult, but I'd hate to do it for hundreds of slides. Try it on a unwanted slide as a test so you can see for yourself how difficult it is and what kind of results you get with your scanner.

You can scan the slides in their current mounts. If you use a modern scanner like the LS-5000 you won't have a problem with depth of field, and the scanning is quick. Adding glass mounts takes time, adds dust-collecting layers but it improves sharpness when using many scanners. You can buy Gepe 6012 plain glass full-size mounts which cover a larger area than the 35 mm slide is, and it doesn't have anti-newton surfaces, so it doesn't ruin the scan by adding gross texture on it, like typical anti-newton mounts do. I think Gepe also makes mounts which show the full frame but without glass. The Gepe special order mounts are excellent for scanning.

The people who make good slide projectors (Leica) are still in business and the projectors are being used. Kodak is the only serious maker who quit, which is the business they nowadays seem to be (quitting). Can't blaim them though, their projectors used trays which take about 20 times more space to store than any sensible trays.