6x9/645 back of other system for mamiya super 23?

mbroom

greetings.

days ago I posted some questions, got wonderful answers and rushing

for my lovely system. but I've searched some sites, and found no one

sells 645/6x9 back for my mamiya press super 23.

now I wonder can I attach 645/6x9 backs of other systems to my mamiya

super 23 with some accessories.

If it is possible, please tell me what systems' backs fit to my system

and what accessory do I need.

thanks and any comments welcomed!

Mamiya made a multi-format film back for this camera which could take 6x9, 6x6, or 6x4.5 all with the same back and the appropriate mask. It used a knob for advancing the film instead of the usual lever. I used to have one of these in addition to the 6x9 and 6x7 film backs. Unfortunately, I no longer have my Super 23 or film backs, but I think I may still have a picture of it from my ebay auction. If I still have it, I will try to post it to this thread when I get home from work. A great system, but I could never really get myself to love the rangefinder design. Lately, I've mainly been using my RB67 Pro SD and M645.

If your Super 23 is one of the fairly rare "G" back versions, then Graflex 23 backs fit. So do

non-Pro RB67 backs (the only auto-spacing 645 option I can think of).

But the vast majority were produced as "M" back versions. There is no accessory or simple

modification to use "G" backs, although hacking a "G" back off a Press Deluxe (where "G"s

were a little more common) shouldn't be too tough for a competent repairman.

The Mamiya "M" backs, (and there certainly is a 6x9, I've got 3) are much better than the

Graflex backs anyway, most of which had awful film flatness. The later lever wind version

of the "M" 6x9 back is better than the knob wind version, especially the ones that had pin

rollers instead of just "buttons" to enforce film flatness.

The Mamiya Universal is the one with adapter plates that let you use either "M" or "G"

backs (or no adapter plate for Polaroid)

The only 645s available for "M" backed Mamiyas are a couple of variations on multi-format

backs, a 6x9/6x6/645 and a 6x7/6x6/645. Both of these are knob wind. For formats

other than the largest you need to insert masks in the back, and rely on ruby-window

spacing, not auto spacing. There's an even earlier version that has no auto-spacing at all,

completely ruby-window.

There are finder masks for 645 and 6x6 to fit the earlier Mamiya 23 and Press Deluxe, but

these do NOT work with the totally redesigned finder of the Super 23 and Universal.

Thanks Roger,

finally decided to wait lever-winding type 6x9 mamiya back.

and thanks very much again for your wonderful comments. if you were here, South Korea, I think I should get a cup of Ginseng tea to you :)

happy MF everyone!

Here are some links you might find useful. They were for me when I first got my Universal setup:

<p>

-http://echobox.com/mamiya/ <br>

-http://www.rondayvous.com/Mamiya.html <br>

-http://digilander.libero.it/clabo/mamiya/ <br>

-http://medfmt.8k.com/mf/mliu/medpresscompo.html

<p>

6x9 "S" backs are fairly easy to find on ebay. They usually come up at least once a week. I believe there is one up for auction right now. The multiformat backs are rarer, and thus more expensive, but they do come up occasionally. But, as you've commented, the reason to get this camera is for the larger 6x9 and 6x7 image size (and their versatility), making the multiformat backs less useful in my book. If they had a multiformat back allowing 6x9 and 6x7, it might be more practical. <p>

As the previous poster mentioned, there's really no point in bothering with the RB backs (or Graphlex/Singer) unless you're interested in the compactness of them (but at the expense of film flatness). Not sure if the Polaroid 600SE backs would also work, though if they do, most likely it would be with the Universal only, considering they're nearly identical cameras (though the lenses aren't compatible).

<p>

Enjoy the Press. Nice system.

• 3 weeks later...