Projecting images to Clients after wedding?

jonathan_brown1

We are considering projecting images to our clients after the wedding.

I would welcome comments from any of you that do this, lessens you

have learned from doing these and how to do them most effectively.

I assume it would go a little something like this: When we met with

them after the wedding we would project to show them how their images

would look as 16X20's, 11X14's and such. Including some of the images

we feel are the strongest and that we feel the client would like the

most. A mix of some formal posed and some candid shots. About 20-30

images?

I would also like some input into what specifications of a projector

you have found to be most important. Have you found that an XGA is

sufficient with 2000 ANSI lumens? What do you like or dis-like about

your projector? What do you wish you had purchased differently?

We are new to this so any input would be greatly appreciated?

I'm not a wedding pro, but as an serious amateur photographer and a DLP-projector owner, I can hopefully start the discussion going.

I think even an low-end DLP (*not* LCD) projector with 800x600 native resolution can produce a compelling image in a darkened room. Viewed from just a few feet away you won't notice the individual pixels; it'll look very much like a traditional 35mm slide projection in terms of color saturation, contrast, and brightness.

But trying to project a specific image size (16x20, 11x14) is a bit more problematic. There is a *minimum* image size you'll be able to project, so you won't be using very many pixels when you're trying to show a 16x20 or 11x14 within that minimum projected image size, even if you went to a higher resolution projector.

Personally, I'd wager that the most compelling presentation would be a full-screen projected slideshow (my home screen is about 84" diagonal) of favorites from the wedding shoot, accompanied on another wall by two or three framed 8x10, 11x14 and 16x20 proofs from the actual wedding to help the couple choose print sizes.

There are a couple of ways to do this.

If you are using film you can get slides made from the negatives and project them with a standard slide projector. I think they are called transviews.

You can also project the prints using a small opaques print projector. A very high-end portrait photographer in my area, Paul Tumason, would have a fine 30-40 inch frame mounted over a white board, and would project the portrait on that to encourage the client to buy big.

If you are doing digital, you can simply run a slide show, but that doesn't project to specific sizes.

I was really looking forward to seeing a response from people already doing this but I guess those studios are't posting or visiting the forum much. I can share the following, I've been to PPA seminars from people doing a "proofless" studio. They don't do any paper proofs after a wedding or portrait session but make a production on viewing the images. This isn't anything new to digital....several studios used projections for their sales back in the later 80s. One seminar explained how they would make a party-like atmosphere with the wedding couple, family, & close friends,...the atmosphere & images gets everyone "juiced-up" on emotions and the sales are boosted beyond the traditional proof programs. From this angle it doesn't matter much if you're using a good quality large screen TV or go the projection route. 2000 lumens is plenty more than you need since you can use a relatively small space and control your room lighting. If you're wanting to show people the difference between the 11x14s, 16x20s, etc....I believe Proshots has a software program that allows you to use the clients images in a room scene. Rangefinder and Studio Photo & Design has featured some articles on the subject.....good luck & let me know how it goes.

Jonathan;

I use a Epson Powerlite S-1 that I purchased refurbished from Epson for $625 - it works great.

I first show the clients a slide show of their album design (which I always try to do before I meet with them.) I then scroll through all of the images.

I give me clients a preview book, so I am not "proofless". My clients pay well to receive a beautiful preview book with thumbnails of every image.

I give them a form with places for them to write in who they want images for, so they can select images as we go. They can pay then, or later - I don't hard sell.

I use ACDSee for image management and scrolling through the images - it is an awesome program.

Email me if you have any further qs.

John

john@johnvanekphotography.com