Problems with TTL flash on the DMR???

I tried my Metz 54 mz 3 with sca 3502 m3 adapter together with my

DMR that I just received to day, but found out that R9 and the DMR

will not take pictures with this flash if it is set in the ttl mode

and the camera set in P. The A and M modes seem to work but i can't

yet say whether that operation is flawless.

Has anybody experienced similar problems with Leicas own flash, the

SF 24 d?

Does anone know whether an update is being prepared for the sca 3502

m3 adapter?

I should add that after initial problems with mounting the DMR,

everything else now seems to work quite well. I will report when I

have made more experience with the dmr.

In reading the reprint of the online discussion on the Leica homepage regarding the DMR a month or so ago, the Leica reps pointed out that using any TTL flash (in the TTL Flash function) with the DMR will not work and they recommended that people use the automatic function instead. This is true of any TTL Flash (Metz, Leica or other) and is not a fault with the sca 3502m3 adaptor. According to them, there is no work around. The problem lies, as I recall, with how the TTL measures light bouncing off of the film surface (as opposed to the sensor), not the shutter. Try using the flash in auto mode and see if that doesn't suffice.

Chris

That is what Christian from Leica USA told us also. Not that TTL flash is in itself a deal-breaker, but that and the fact they couldn't fit a full 24x36 sensor into the camera's film opening point out 2 unfortunate consequences of the DMR that might have been avoided if they would have made a dedicated DSLR instead. Those who will switch between film and digital will probably consider it less of a sacrifice than those whose intention is to just convert an R8 or 9 to full-time digital use.

There is a way to do TTL flash with the DMR, albeit good only for a static subject, which is by way of the "f" flash pre-metering mode. Of course that works with any non-dedicated flash, so no need for an expensive Metz and module.

This is a common problem with DSLRs that read of the film for flash metering, The Digital sensor is much more reflective than film and gives erroneous readings for the flash. Canon developed the EX series ETTL with a preflash to determine the flash exposure as a workaround for this problem, and that is not a completely effective solution. A good work around is to use your MZ 54 in the Auto mode where the flash metering is done by the MZ 54

I sold my Canon EX flash and brought a Metz MZ 54 to utilise the Auto mode that the Metz has and have found it much better with consistent exposures in most situations.

Hi Erin,

The preflash was not developed for digital per se, but already existed back in the film days as a selective flash measurement for selected areas of the scene. The problem was ETTL was weighted too heavily on the selected AF points.

Happily the recent Canon models no longer have this issue (starting from the 10D, and especially with the ETTL2 models like the 20D, 350D, 1dmk2, 1dsmk2 etc) with ETTL flash - you can still employ older flash units like the 420ex and 550ex to enjoy ETTL2 benefits.

I'm quite shocked that Leica did not find a solution to the TTL flash problem for the DMR, considering its price!