Calumet/Bowens Traveller 3000G - info, replacement tubes and instructions?

streetlevel

Ok - so, having via barter, aquired a recently refurbished Calumet/Bowens Traveller

3000G power pack, and 3 - not refurbished 3000GHF heads (with the edison style slaves)

- I am looking to replace at least one of the tube sets.

Calumet sells replacement tubes for US $399, but I would love to know if there is an

alternative out there.

Also - if anybody has a manual for this pack and head I would happily pay for a copy and

shipping.

--

It looks like an otherwise fairly robust set-up. Plenty of power, and even on fast recharge

the amp draw doesn't bring down my studio - which has been a problem with other rigs.

:)

--

Any other thoughts on must have equipment for this set? I already have great stands, and

a few softboxes and other modifiers are on the way. But anything particular to the Bowens

that really make them more useful?

Thank you all.<div>00CgMF-24354484.jpg.a392f441aa4296c0f8a5f75ad1b2cfaa.jpg</div>

Hi Will

I use the Calumet Traveler Plus, which as near as I can tell is the same thing with different paint. I do not feel that it is obsolete at all. I really like the individual head control and the bayonet mount, though I think that the recycle speed could be better and I do not know why they made it a three channel pack when four is so much more useful.

Regarding accessories, I use the grid spots a lot and also like the fresnel, though that is a bit rare and a bit of a taste.

Here is the manual: http://www.bowensinternational.com/manuals/Estime3000.pdf.

Regarding tubes, you might call Webster Electric, which sells almost every type of light bulb on earth, though I think they told me that they did not have these.

Best of luck,

Josh

There is a manufacturer in France that makes flashtubes that fit many of the Bowens flash units. I ran across their products on eBay and tracked them down...unfortunately the PC that I saved the URL on has since crashed and I haven't tried to re-find them. If you do, please post the info. (If memory serves, their flashtubes for my Bowens Prolite 100s were about 30-40% cheaper.)

Aha - thanks George - doing a search for the terms, France - bowens - flashtube, brought

up this one:

http://www.lumix.fr/

And they do indeed have the tubes to fit the Traveller G series. Dunno on price, but since

they sell the individual tubes, rather than the full assembly - I am hopeful (especially since

I only really need one of the two tubes anyway).

Many thanks.

Yep, that was the one. Thanks for the link, Will. If memory serves, they actually have a non-exclusive US distributor (non-registered trademark w/Customs). So, I think you can either buy them here or from France or even distribute them yourself. Options are good...right?

George

• 4 weeks later...

The way I became aware of them in the first place was someone in the US selling a bunch of them on eBay (for various studio flashes, but not Bowens). BTW, both on eBay and in most search engines, you can add -XYZ to your search to have the search exclude items with XYZ in it. So, you could search for:

Lumix -Panasonic

George

Thanks George, the search info was helpful!

I turn up a few old Lumix sales on Ebay through Google - in their cached snapshots. But I couldn't find anything on Ebay in current sales or completed sales that let me see the history and seller. I wish Ebay kept their history longer.

I'm going to e-mail Lumix and see if I can get purchasing info, either directly from them or in the US. They have a pretty good list of products at their web site:

http://www.lumix.fr/Lmx/start.html

I am also looking for some older tubes that I can't find anywhere, I thought Lumix might have some that are not listed on their site.

I'll post if I get a reply.

Best,

Michael

• 3 years later...

Will, the only U.S. distributor is Calumet for those Lumix bulbs. I have had the same problem. I don't want to pay the $399 either. Lumix won't sell to you. True be told though the PS/traveler are the best strobes I've ever used, and will work for-ever if you take care of them.

~AJT

• 1 month later...

I've use these units for literally hundreds of thousands of catalog photos, and they are more reliable than the very expensive Elinchrom units we also

had in house. I still have two packs and six heads or so. Sometimes you can buy entire used heads for about the same as a flashtube alone, so I

wouldn't be too concerned. The flashtubes last a VERY long time, and are usually only replaced if damaged by impact and clumsiness, chnaging

softboxes or rings too hastily (oops- how do I know this? shoots that lasted til 4am.) They are very reliable. The modelling light bulbs have delicate

filaments, but unlike flashtubes, they are regular tungsten halogens that are cheap and plentiful.

• 3 years later...

<p>Hello, I have a question for Bowens 3000 traveller users.<br>

I've purchased and tested all the equipment [generator and three 3000 gh heads] purchased the day arrived to me. Today I had to make a studio shooting and put the flashes on. They works for 2 or three shoots and than they didn't work at all. Modelling lamps and generator work perfectly, I tested the fuse and they are ok. Flashes tube are clean and nothing happens, I mean any glitchs or power damages. There is some protection system that stops the flashes to works, or other advice concerning what has happen? Thank you in advance!</p>