Botswana Photo Safari - planning help needed

sara_fredericks

Hello All,

I am planning a trip to Botswana to photograph wildlife next year (March?) and

am looking for a safari operator that caters to camera people.

The problem I seem to be having is getting emails through to Botswana and/or

getting responses from US companies here to plan this thing.

Any ideas? Suggested places to go? I was thinking Moremi Game Reserve.

Thanks!

Jon

Hi Jon, I have only been to Botswana under my own steam, but I would suggest that you look at South Africa based travel companies, like http://www.camera-africa.com . Historically, most "safaris" into Botswana have started from there, though now I see many Botswana based companies advertising. Depeding upon how much time you have, a trip from South Africa (Johannesburg) will take you through the Makgadigadi Pans (where on numerous trips I have seen millions of migrating animals), on to Maun, a small town on the Okavango River and the stepping off point for the Okavango Delta and Moremi. Travelling through Moremi you will see plenty of wildlife. Then on to Savuti for "plains" wildlife, and plenty of elephant, Hyena, and lion. Finally, in Botswana, you will reach Serondella, on the banks of the Chobe River, plenty more elephant, etc. The scene over the river, especially at dusk, is absolutely beautiful. From there, the tour will either take you back down to Jo'burg, via Francistown, or on to Victoria Falls, about 150Ks across the border into Zimbabwe. About a 3 week trip in all.

Going in March isn't the best time for general wildlife, (though in Botswana that comment is all relative!) but it you may well catch the last of the migrating birdlife. My best trips have been mid-August, out of school holiday time (many South African families travel up in the winter holidays (June/July/early August). It has the least visitors, the Okavango Delta is full of water, leaving the many islands you will see in the travel photos), and the weather is the most pleasant (clear blue skies and around 20-23 C during the day, and

cool to chilly at night, around the campfire!

You can do all of this yourself, by renting a fully kitted out 4WD, from Johannesburg or Francistown. Due to the exchange rate the cost is reasonable. But the daily fees in the National Parks are quite high. And you really need to have had some 4WD driving experience, and some knowledge of animal behaviour. There wil be plenty of occasions where you will meet elephant, hippo, crocs, lions, etc. and it was very scary on my first trip!

Good luck in finding the right travel Company, and have a great trip.

Hi Jon,

I was there in sept/oct which is a better time than march.

It was far beyond my expectations.

BTW, if you want to have choices, book about a year in advance !

If your priority is good pictures check the options of www.safari24.com that is in Namibia (Swakopmund).

Good luck and go for it !

Peter

My wife and I an another couple did a safari in 2004 which included 3 days in Botswana at Little Vumbra camp. Absolutely wonderful, and the best game photography of the trip. We planned the trip through Africa Adventure Company in Ft. Lauderdale (http://www.africa-adventure.com. They were great. Their ground operator in Botswana was Wilderness Safaris. Dukes, our guide in Botswana was incredible and really was excellent at getting us into perfect light for our photo ops. Incidentally, we are returning to Africa for a week long safari tomorrow, Kenya this time. I will report on our tour operator.

Jon,

I worked through Africa Adventure for my trip in Nov '05. I worked through Andre, who had just moved from Zimbabwe, where he had been a guide. I told the guides at each camp my prime interest in photography, and to the degree that being safe would allow, they put us in very good positions, would ask if I were through before restarting the vehicle, and would move to some better positions when I requested them. Botswana's government restricts the number of tourists, so the operators cater to a limited number of up-scale customers. Camps do all they can to meet any need you have. I have no hesitation recommending Africa Adventure.

I found the Okavango Delta to be outstanding, and saved some tour time to bungee at Vic Falls, Zimbabwe. (My current understanding is don't go there--to much danger from 2-legged animals. Most tours now go to Livingstone, Zambia, which was being avoided when I was there.)

I stayed in CC Africa facilities throughout the trip. They are not the most luxurious, but are extremely comfortable facilities. I know they were putting in satellite data coms when I was there. I was able to directly correspond with one camp manager before my trip, by going through CC Africa. I was also able to send quick notes to my wife. (Don't book directly with them; tour operators get better pricing as one of their people pointed out.)

Hope you enjoy Botswana as much as I. I would love to return to Africa.

Joe

• 3 years later...
<p>Dean Fitzpatrick & Grant Reed are phenomenal photographic guides organising Botswana Photographic tours away from the main lodges, so photographers spend maximum time out in the bush. Flexible itinerary & mealtimes should interesting objects appear and one does not need to share with impatient other lodge guests. Their tours can be booked via: http://www.wildlightsafaris.com</p>