1280 driver quality settings

Sorry I'm still using the original driver. I remember reading somewhere that comparison of the old numerical dpi and the new textual descriptions was intuitive. i.e. the best for glossy is 2880 dpi, next best for glossy and best for matte is 1440, and so forth.

At the risk of sounding like a smart *ss, why not try the new settings and see which gives you the max print quality? Maybe Epson was trying to tell us that we should determine printer resolution by what the prints look like and not by some number.

I upgraded the driver and was disappointed to see that the dpi was changed to names. All attempts at removing the driver and reinstalling the old driver for some reason failed. Finally I connected the printer to a different computer and installed the original driver. That said, I'm pretty sure the resolution increases as you go down the drop down menu, just like the dpi numbers did and that rpm is the highest setting.

I found a page on the inkjetmall site early today with the 'mapping':

Photo - 720 ,

Best Photo - 1440 ,

Photo RPM - 2880

As for your smart *@@ comment, the reason is that icc profiles are done for specific dpi settings, usually 1440 and 2880 and I need to know which one. The differences between 1440 and 2880 are usually subtle, excepting print speed, but color differences can be somewhat significant if the wrong settings are used for a given profile.

Richard: Yes, I know. All my custom profiles are made for printing at 1440.

I am curious if you've tried printing the same file over with the different driver and can tell any difference in the prints. That's been a concern since all my custom print profiles are based on the old driver and I'm not sure I have a copy to reinstall if anything ever happened.