Which Model Is this Leica?

tolga_anil

Hi,

I saw this camera in a local auction in Turkey. I have learn camera

serial number: 443 299. The seller told me this is a Leica IIIF. But

when I search serial number, camera look Leica IIC. It has a red dial

on camera. Lens is Elmar 50mm. I can't learn F value. Camera is

working but need CLA.

The asking price is 370USD. Is it normal?

Regards,

Tolga ANIL<div>00DLkN-25352784.jpg.c4ed99d75efa61905d885282dab839cc.jpg</div>

Hi Tolga , this is a IIIf with self timer the lens is the Elmar.

You recognise the IIIf it has the set of syncro setting numbers

below the speed dial. Also only the IIIf has the film memory window on top of the film wind knob. This is the first Leica with flash syncro.

My 2005 Mckeown book states the value at around $ 800.00. The self timer IIIf is rare. If the syncro numbers are red the camera is worth a little more. So my advise you are getting as good deal.

That the serial number is that of a IIC means that it was sent back to the factory for an upgrade at some point. This was apparently popular for tax reasons, since repairs (the upgrade) were not taxed as heavily as buying the more expensive model.

Definitely is a IIIf Red Dial Self Timer now. I suspect that there is no mechanical difference between this camera and a "built as" IIIf.

The price for the combination is indeed reasonable.

There are a couple of oddities if this is a factory upgraded IIc:

1)I have pair of IIIc's that were upgraded to IIIf's (black dial). In both cases, a small engraved plated with the flash synchro numbers was installed below the shutter speed dial as the original cover plate was not engraved for flash. The plate is installed with a pair of small screws whose heads are visible next to the acessory shoe. The plate was present in several other IIIc to IIIf upgrades which I've run across. I don't see this plate in Tolga's photograph.

2) The IIc abd IIf differed from the IIIc and IIIf in having a flat spring in the bottom of the acessory shoe rather the pair of rails found in the III series cameras.

Perhaps later factory upgrades were different in that the top plate was modified when the upgrade was to a red dial model.