Tachihara vs Shen Hao: What are the pros and cons?

gabriel_benaim

I'm narrowing down my search for a 4x5 and can't find a tthread I

remember reading comparing these two cameras. I know the s.h is 2lbs

heavier, and think it has a harder time handling shorter than 90mm

lenses, but are there other facts I should take into account before

buying (renting isn't an option where I am). Also, I read they have

different spring backs: how does this affect their ability to take

quick loads, and the availability of film holders. Thanks.

Two reasons not to buy the Wista: Price (much more expensive, 1.5-2x difference for new) and Weight (Wista is heavier). But they're both good cameras.

<p/>

One reason TO buy the Wista instead of the Tachi: More movements. I haven't found this to be a limitation in how I use my Tachi's.

<p/>

I have two Tachi's--4x5 and 8x10 (which is a Calumet Wood XM, a rebranded older version) and they're fine cameras. Shen Hao is an Ebony knockoff. Similar tradeoffs to Tachi vs. Wista.

<p/>

One reason to go Tachi vs. Shen Hao is that the Tachi is easier to get in the US. Contact Jim at Midwest Photo--he usually has one or two Tachi's in stock (4x5). Shen Hao must be ordered, IIRC, from China which can take a long time to manufacture and ship.

<p/>

Decide what's important: Movements vs. weight. Or use of a Graflok back (a stock Shen Hao can do that, Tachi can't). Then make your choice and go for it. Chances are, there's always something you'll love and something that will bug you about the camera...But if you're just getting into LF, you probably won't notice since you'll be learning on this one.

<p/>

Enjoy,<p/>

-D<p/>

<a href="http://coyoteimages.com">Coyote Images</a>

Oh, one more things about the non-Graflok back on a Tachi: It accepts QL holders with ease. I use it all the time, no problems. I have heard the Shen Hao works just fine as well. If you never plan to use a roll film back, then I would say a Graflok option isn't very important.

<p/>

-D

Both are fine, well made cameras. Assuming both are in your price range, the most important difference is the minimum and maximum usable bellows extension, both of which I believe favor the Tachihara. The second most important difference is weight, third is extensiveness of movements. Finally are the external considerations: cost, appearance, cachet, etc.

I owned a nice little Shen Hao for a while, but found I needed both more and less bellows than it wanted to give me, so I traded up.

The Shen-Hao is in (or was) stock at quite a few places in the USA. I went with the Shen-

Hao because:

Nicer Build. Seems more stable. Easier for me to adjust. Available accessories at great

prices...Compendium Shade, Bag Bellows, Reflex viewer, Roll Film back etc...

I shot a 65mm Lens on it just fine. I don't know of any reason that the Tach would handle

Wide lenses better.

jmp

There's a fairly detailed review of the Tachihara on my web site www.ellisgalleries.com, click on "Equipment Reviews." I think it pretty much comes down to added movements on Shen Hao vs less weight of the Tachihara. There are other differences but for me these are the important ones. You have to decide if the added movements on the Shen Hao are ones you would ever need given the type of work you do (FWIW I never used them when I owned the Ebony cameras that Shen Hao copies) and/or whether 4 lbs of the Tachihara vs. 6 pounds of the Shen Hao is important to you.

If you ever want to use a roll film holder on the Tachihara you can use the ones Calumet sells under its own brand name, I used the 6x7 Calumet for a while with a Tachihara and it worked fine. I much prefer that type of roll film holder, which slides under the ground glass frame just like a normal film holder, to the Graflok style which requires that you remove and replace the camera back every time you want to use the roll film holder. I also used a Readyload holder all the time with the Tachihara with no problem.

I haven't owned a Shen Hao but I've played around with several and been with others using them on photo trips. I don't think the build quality is better than the Tachihara. The aesthetics are different, to me the Shen Hao has more of an "industrial" look while the Tachihara is "prettier," but both seemed aduquately well built and which look you prefer is up to you.

Both are perfectly fine cameras for most purposes, I suspect you'd be happy with either unless you need to use longer lenses than the short bellows of these cameras allows.

The Shen Hao doesn't need to be ordered from China. I ordered mine from Badger Graphics ( http://www.badgergraphic.com ) without any fuss. The one thing that made me decide on getting the Sheo Hao was the graflok back, which will allow me to get the 6x17 rollfilm back Shen Hao also make. It'll be a slightly bulky combo, but it's also a pretty good package, being able to shoot 4x5 and 6x17 or smaller all with the one camera.

I've handled both and ended up buying the Shen-Hao. The Shen-Hao takes a 90mm lens on a flat board with the normal bellows, so a bag bellows and a recessed board would easily handle a 65mm lens.

The Shen-Hao has 360mm of bellows extension; about 310mm normally and 50mm more if you unhook the front standard and shift it forward using the mechanism that's normally used for base tilts. In this position I've mounted a 250mm f/6.3 Fujinon lens (far from a lightweight) and the camera's been rock-solid.

The major differences come down to these: The Shen-Hao is heavier, but has more movements and has a Graflok back. The Tachihara is lighter, has fewer movements, and a spring back. Both are well made. If the Tachihara has the movements you need (and the movements it has are fine for landscape work) and you don't use Graflok accessories (Graflex-style roll film holders, Grafmatics, etc.), then you might as well save the weight and go with the Tachihara. The Tachihara will handle a QuickLoad or a Polaroid 545 film holder just fine. If, on the other hand, you want to use the camera for studio-style work (i.e., table-top photography), or you want to use Graflex-style roll film backs (much cheaper than a Calumet C2 roll film back), then the extra weight of the Shen-Hao might be worth it for you.

Again, they're both fine cameras and I'm sure either would make you happy. There really is no advantage with one or the other when it comes to bellows extension; the differences are in weight, movements, and the back. You are the only one who can decide if the extra weight is worth the features on the Shen-Hao. They were for me, but they're not for a lot of people.

Best of luck with your decision.

Not to throw a wrench into your decision making, but I managed to get a Toko from KEH a while ago and I've been very pleased with the camera. Since it's isn't a well known brand, they tend to be very inexpensive.

Limitations are that you don't get an interchangeable bellows, and you can't get a new one. The bellows could handle a 75mm wide angle without impeding the movements too much, so you'd only need interchangeable bellows if you intend to go wider than that. If you're patient, they do show up for auction from time to time. If weight is an issue, mine is 3lbs 15.5oz without lens and lens board. Finally, the tilts are not on-axis, so it can be a little fiddly to focus when adjusting the plane of focus. Otherwise it's a great camera.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'm leaning towards the SH because of the extra draw one can squeeze out of it for longer lenses, which I favor, and the lower priced roll backs (can you use any graflok roll back or does it have to be sh?). To make matters more interesting, can anyone offer a quick comparison of a (used)wista and a sh? Thanks again,

Any appropriately sized Graflok accessory can be used on a matching Graflok back. So any roll film back made for a 4x5 camera can be used on a Shen-Hao. (I use an old Graflex "23" on mine.)

I mention the size issue because there are smaller Graflok backs than the 4x5. For example, the Mamiya RB67 backs are Graflok backs, and the backs for the camera can be used on the old Century Graphics, and backs designed for the Century Graphic can be used on the RB67.

But any Graflok accessory that's made for a 4x5 camera can be used on any 4x5 camera with a Graflok back.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave Moeller said it well, explaining the differences in a nutshell.

For my 2 cents worth, get the Shen-Hao because there'll come a time when you are looking for the extra movements and you'll be kicking yourself if you didn't get them -- especially for practically the same price.

For more Shen-Hao info, check out the Shen-Hao Users Group Forums:

http://www.phpbbforfree.com/forums/?mforum=shug