no computer printer- which one

First ensure his camera is compatible with direct printing protocol (PictBridge). If not, no need to look for that capacity. Also check what type of memory card his camera uses, so you can make sure the printer is going to accept it (chances are, if it's a printer with a card reader, it will).

Most printers these days do great in photo printing. Most Canon, HP or Epson branded ones are a good bet. It comes down to price and some extras (like ability to print on CD's for example).

Given your description, just about any new printer on the market will do nice to great "snap shots". If his intent is to only do nothing bigger than 4x6, then check out the small printers from above makers. It might be best to go into something like BestBuy and see what's on tap. Then, if money is an issue, shop on the net for the best deal.

Give some thought and research to print stability. The best printers in this regard use pigment inks, like the Epson PictureMate (4x6 only) and higher end R series printers (R800 or higher). Dye ink printers can be OK in this area, but typically have some weakness that can compromise their advertised print life, such as being susceptible to ozone induced fading.

I have the Epson Picturemate for 4 x 6 prints. I have the older one, without the viewscreen. I am pleased with the prints, even without being hooked up to the computer.

I just bought a Canon iP6600D last week to replace a dead Epson 926. So far, I am impressed, the machine is quiet and faster than the Epson, and the prints are vibrant. Also it uses individual ink tanks.

Good luck on your search!

Tammy