Usable wide-angles for Horseman Woodman?

keithdunlop

I am transitioning from using my Mamiya RZ for landscape work to a

Horseman Woodman 4x5 and was disappointed when reviewing the usable

lens list provided on the Horseman website.

My previous favorite wide angle lens when I did architecture work on

a monorail was the Nikkor-SW 90m 4.5. I find now that I cannot use

that lens on the Horseman due to the large rear element. You can use

the f/8.0 version, but who wants to focus with a dark image on the

screen? Similar wide-angle Schneider and Rodenstock lenses have the

same rear element size issues.

Other usable options appear to be the Schneider APO-Symmar 120mm 5.6,

or perhaps a Nikkor-W 105mm 5.6, but I'm uncertain whether these give

you a wide perspective or not. They don't fall within the "wide-

angle" category of lenses.

So, what do people use as a "standard" wide-angle landscape lens on

4x5 field cameras? I want something that gives me roughly the same

perspective of a 65mm - 90mm equivalant in medium format.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I think you may be mistaking the rear element limits for the Horseman technical cameras, which use tiny lensboards, with those for the Woodman which I think uses a Technica-style panel with an 80mm hole. I believe all the popular 90's except the Schneider SA XL will fit your camera.

Ahhh, I see. Yes the front standard is indeed bigger on the Woodman.

So, what about the perspective issue and choosing a landscape lens - should I look primarily at angle of view and compare that to formats that I'm familar with? For example, if I want something that approximates a 28mm in 35mm format, would a 4x5 lens with an approximate angle of view in the 75 degree range give me the same perspective; say a Nikkor-W 135mm 5.6? This isn't classified as a "wide-angle" lens but has a wide angle of view. I don't get it.

The 4x5 frame has a different aspect ratio than 35mm so direct comparisons are difficult. But for a rough approximation multiply the 35mm lens focal length by 3.5 - so a 28mm lens on 35 is similar to around 100mm on 4x5. The angle of coverage for the LF lens tells you something different, namely how much room you have for movements, so don't confuse that in your lens selection.

Could anyone provide a concise list of field type cameras that can accept a 90mm f4.5 or f5.6 without a recessed lense board and without limiting movements.

So far the only cameras that I'm aware that do this are the various Ebony's and the Shen-Hao. The Toyo AII, the Horsman FA and the Linhof Technika are all fine cameras, but from what I understand they are all limited in some way to operate with a 90mm f4.5 (due to size of lense). Is this correct?

• 5 years later...
<p>Horseman Woodman is technical camera via NAGAOKA co.ltd. it is salled by Komamura Shokai Co.ltd. The said apparatus is beautiful and light weight. I am use with Fujinon SWD 1:5.6 / 75mm. The combination is very nice and working well. (I am use also 50mm for Mamiya RZ.) No one can compare with Fujinon SWD 1:5.6 /75mm in this respet.</p>

<p>I use Fujinon - SWD 90mm f/5.6 for Horseman Woodman 4X5 as like as Mamiya RZ 50mm f/4.5 ULD - The said two combinations are ultra-wide lenses exhibiting minimal distortions and extreme depth of field, dramatically linking foreground and background subject matter. Applications include landscape, architecture and alpine flowers with depth of field with swing and shift. Horseman Woodman is sophisticated with handling such as Linhof Technica: He was made by Nagaoka Seisakusho in Tokyo, distributed by Komamura Corporation. I think Fujinon is better than Nikkor, equivalent with Mamiya RZ 50mm f/4.5 ULD.</p><div>00YIzz-336037584.jpg.92e4567e5cb38c2ef38eef1a39ad02e2.jpg</div>