Leica MP saddle leather case - M7?

simonpg

Years ago all the writers in the photography magazines used to jokingly call them "never ready cases" because the photo op would be gone by the time you got the case open, and reloading required removing the case. If you buy the case you'll just worry about messing up the beautiful finish on the leather. Go take some pictures.

I use Leica ever ready cases on my M bodies whenever I travel. I often have 2 bodies on me, they have been known to clang together and the leather cases minimize the possibility of knocking the rangefinder or something else out of whack. If I were just diddling around in my neighborhood I wouldn't be as concerned, but I don't like to get my cameras out of kilter when I'm far from home and have important shots I'm looking forward to. All of my Leicas had plenty of surface marks when I got them, so I'm not anal about "minty" stuff. The ERC cases I have snap over the strap lugs, so removing it to change film is a one-second operation. I only use the case tops during transit, otherwise they function like Luigi half cases, except mine cost me I think $80 apiece for the M6 kind and $25 for the M4, which has a taller cover to go over a Leicameter. I also use one of the brown leather screw-on cases on my M3 because its strap lugs are kind of worn thin. That case also has a removable top. One side note, I prefer the previous generation ERC because the latest ones have a lump on the back, supposedly as a grip, which I find annoying.

<i>If you buy the case you'll just worry about messing up the beautiful finish on the leather. Go take some pictures.</i>

<br><br>

Is it just me that is getting so tired of comments like the one above? Why can't one enjoy the esthetics of a camera and at the same time be a user of it? They are NOT mutually exclusive in my book.

<br>I find it offensive to tell people to 'go take photos' all the time (sorry Al, this is not exclusively aimed at you) when someone is asking about a new lever, case, lens cap - you name it...<br><br>

And no, I don't want to send my camera away to get brassed and dented - I believe in using not abusing equipment I paid a lot for - especially equipment I use as a hobbyist and not a professional.

I have several friends who are professional photographers who charge fees on the high end and have A-list clients. Their equipment looks exceptionally clean, almost mint. If they inadvertently bang something up they either get it fixed or replace it. I've run some of the comments I've seen here past them and they just laugh. "Image is everything" they say, and would not imagine showing up at a job with grungy, worn-out-looking equipment no matter how functional it might still be. Their clients don't understand or appreciate that a brassy, dented camera is capable of making the same quality photos as a sparkling new one, and they don't equate it to vast experience and great talent. Instead, their clients would see it as a sign of lack of success. "It'd be like tattooing 'LOSER' on my forehead" said one of them. Judging from the way these guys live I wouldn't argue with their business savvy.

Many people like their Leicas or Nikon F/F2's brassed, because they look like they belong

to an experienced pro (working for the National Geographic or something), that he has

been everywhere producing stunning images without

having the time to take much care of his heroic cameras that are not asking anything else

than

film. He also was wise enough to choose these great cameras that he knew they could

follow him everywhere. <br>

You can blame them for these thoughts? You never put yourself in the center of this

dream?<br>

I have! I like this thought. I wish I was this kind of a photographer.<br>

Some other moments though, I prefer my mint stuff. I admire them because they are so

beautiful and I enjoy touching them and cleaning them.<br>

Both these feelings can exist together my friends. Photography is our hobby, our love. We

express this love

differently every time, it just depends in our mood.<br>

My opinion: Use your cameras and enjoy them as much as you can. Do not store them. Do

not abuse them either. When that scratch or

that dent appears on them, it doesn't matter, because it is YOU that you made it. It's a part

of your photographic life.

"It'd be like tattooing 'LOSER' on my forehead."

I doubt anyone would dare ascribe this statement to Al Kaplan! In any case, I am one of those guys than has to have my cameras looking very clean (of not mint) all the time. For me it's part of the shooting experience. But I always get a chuckle when someone (like Al) pipes up and set's people like me straight.

I am the first to admit I'm a gear junky, but I know they're just tools.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

I don't know about the M7 case, but I recently considered Leica's MP case for my Hammertone set, but ultimately opted for another Luigi half-case. My decision was based on two factors: 1. I was never going to use the front cover, and 2. the Luigi case was made with softer leather.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Rich,

Well spoken! I'm of the same sentiments that you've expressed in your posting. It seems as

if having a "beaten-to-rats--t" camera is some sort of a status symbol on this forum. I

suppose it's some throwback thing to the cameras one sees from photojournalists such as

Eddie Adams who have gone through the Vietnam War... and returned!

Yes, I can certainly understand that a photographer would be less concerned if he/she

were in Afghanistan covering the Jihad but... most of the people here on this forum aren't

in that situation! I'd surmise the majority of folks here enjoy photography as a hobby!

And, even if one were to shoot copious amounts of film every day, that doesn't mean that

they would necessarily have to have beaten up gear! Some shooters take pride in

maintaining their gear (no, not in mint-condition... but certainly NOT abused either!)

I guess it's "to each his/her own! :)

Cheers

This probably won't help you much... but... I used to have a Leica never-ready case, of which I only used the bottom half and left the top half at home. That bottom half protected everything enough (for me). I then discovered the Luigi half-cases. Watch out, there are at least two different models here. I then found everything about Luigi's half case better and less expensive than Leica's, so I sold the Leica (whole) case. Sure am happy I did. For me, there is nothing better than Luigi's. Kameraleder's half-case is also (again for me) problematic. Note that Leica offers two never-ready cases, both the same, one for small lenses (e.g. their 2/50), plus one extra model for bigger lenses. Both same price.

I am one who also likes my gear to remain pretty as long as possible, while still using it fearlessly. I use ever ready cases because it is much easier to prevent dings, scratches and gouges than to fix them. Transporting an unclad Leica is just "asking for it" in my opinion. It's really no different to cover your camera than to install seat covers on your new car. Lots of people do it, I do too!

Best regards, Bill

Thanks all. I had no idea my question would spark debate about the wisdom or otherwise of using a case at all. I suppose I'd best ask Leica about the fit.

By the way, I like using the ever ready cases more for the lower half - really adds comfort to my hands and provides a bit better grip when out and about grabbing shots.

Oh, and finally, I actually like hand made objects of beauty like some of these and much older ever ready camera cases. I suppose its the craftsmanship similar to Leica M cameras' craftmanship that appeals - great tools for the job of making images and protecting the cameras made even nicer by the superb craftsmanship and commitment to manufacturing quality!

Anyone hold a different view?

Thanks again.

Cases have their place. Sometimes I don't put one on a camera if I know I am going to use it a lot that day (changing film, ease of use, etc.). Now days I uses cases a lot. One advantage of a case is people generally will keep their hands off the camera if is it siting down while not in use. They also don't ask a lot of questions if it is "cased up".

Regarding the cases for the MP or M7. Take a good look at the Leica catalog or website and you will see they have a softer version case which fits well with a 50mm Cron. If I remember correctly the saddle case is bigger and works well with a winder or motor.

Have fun,

Steve

I don't think that you can call a Leica "just a tool". It's a fashion statement. Either the statement is "Look at this very expensive camera I have!" or it's "Look at the funky looking outdated camera I use!"

Calling it a tool seems like justifing the $4,000 you dropped on fifty year old design that only recently got some thirty year old technology added to it.

I don't see anything wrong with taking care of your camera. Although I guess abusing the camera is just another fashions statement.

Chad

• 1 month later...

Hate to dissapoint those of you who think of me as a user of ONLY grungy beat to crap cameras. Startin with an estate sale find a few years ago and a series of swaps I actually have almost mint M2 and M3 bodies to go with my well brassed M2-R and button rewind M2. They both got "reskinned" in the past couple of years with Cameraleather's great product. Did it myself.

The good news is that the Bessa L that wears the 15 Heliar is getting nicely worn along the edges. The black is slowly giving way to reveal the high quality white plastic underneath. Great camera! ;-)