D70s 6.1 Megapixels enough for a 10X8 picture

It should be fine. The way I calculate it is based on 300 dots/printed inch. If we multiply an 10"x8" shot by 300 dots it will come to 3000x2400. The resolution of the D70s is 3008x2000 which is more than enough.

As you increase the size of the print, you are decreasing the pixel density per inch. Up to a point, you can get away with a lower density but eventually it will start to show. People try to rationalize by talking about 'viewing distance' but all that means is that you stand further back when looking at a big print and you don't notice the defects as easily...but they are there!

I've printed numerous 8x12's from my D70, so 8x10 is a no brainer; The largest I've printed is 12x18 and they still come out beautiful.

I start with NEF, tweak in photoshop and print at 400dpi to a Noritsu 2901 using Fuji Crystal Archive paper.

Erik, if you can see pixels on a print of that size you're doing something wrong somewhere in the image processing.

One thought, the camera might store the image as 72 dpi. Dpi is meaningless for an image shown on a screen, but it does affect how an image is printed. When you resize the image are you also adjusting the dpi, or is it perhaps unchanged as 72 dpi?

I regularly print 12x18" prints from my D70 from the best quality JPG setting with astounding results. I've won many photo contests and have placed framed images in libraries and art galleries. I even "cropped" one image down to about 3.5 MP and printed that portion at 12x18 with no noticable degredation.

Are you selecting the proper paper and resolution settings in your printer driver? Most printer installations default to plain paper and 360 dpi. I usually use Epson's Premium Glossy Paper with printer driver set to 1440 dpi. I have an Epson 1280, but you should get similar results.

Lynn

Another thought. The D70 lets you shoot at small, medium, and large file sizes, and basic, normal, and fine quality settings (in addition to RAW). Don't shoot small and basic for anything other than small web postings and 3X5 prints. Be sure to shoot at large and fine if quality is important.

I would suggest you never shoot at anything than maximum resolution becuase if you get the shot of a lifetime and you are using VGA you get crap instead of a sale.

I was printing 42.2cm x 29.7cm off my 3.3Mp camera through a good editing programme interpolating the extra pixels required to print at 300dpi so it is much easier now I have 5Mp and 6Mp should be the same.

you should be able to do that easily.. I would venture a guess that there is an error in your work flow somewhere. with the pixels you capture with that camera it should make an 8x10 by cropping off either the left or the right that results in 250 ppi. that is without resampling. resample and you should be able to do it great.

what mode are you shooting in, maybe if you have the picture mode set smaller, then you are getting these results. I am not familiar with your software so I couldn't help you there.

and posting the picture on the net will not help unless you post the full size photo.. the image you posted is probably 5.5x7.5 or so at 72 dpi/ppi .. if this is the actual image you tried to print then that is your problem. you need 8x10 @ 240-360 ppi/dpi.

if you posted the correctly sized picture on the web the photo would be about 35x28 inches.. ON THE MONITOR, at actual pixel size.. your monitor only shows 72 dpi/ppi.

Just a stab in the dark here, but have you done editing on this shot in PS, and if so, did you open and close the image as a jpeg numerous times? That might account for some deterioration. Other than that, I agree it's in your process. I shoot often with the D70 and print 11x14's with no problem. I don't examine them with a magnifier, because at that size, matted and framed, they are meant to be viewed at a short distance, not examined as a rare document.

Definately. I just did a gallery digital series with the D70 all of which where printed 16x24. My designer could not tell whether it was Fuji Provia asa 100 or if it was digtital. I gave him the choice. He failed. Shoot highest resolution and I convert to Tiff before storing on the disk ready for printing. Good luck. Printing is the most frustrating bloody aspect of digital photography