My computer is dying a slow death. Something has corrupted my

network files and I am unable to connect to the internet most times,

and considering it is 8 years old I am ready to "upgrade".

Problem is I don't know what to get or where to get it. I will

eventually buy a digital camera (likely an Fuji S3 or something of

that sort) so digital imaging and internet is all that I need it to

do. I don't plays games or edit video. Running internet explorer,

paying bills and photoshop is all that I do.

Everyone is suggesting Dell but when I compare Hard drive size,

processor, and memory the others are cheaper (HP, compaq, etc.) And

to confuse me more I purchased a computer shopper magazine wich

includes other direct vendors like ibuypower.com, abs, and

cyberpower.

Can anyone help me spend my money so that I get the best system I can

afford $700-$800 us dollars.

Hi Sam, You'll likely get a zillion different answers and recommendations here. Dell makes good PCs and I've always had positive encounters with their service department when necessary. I can't say the same about HP and Compaq, unfortunately. And the ones like cyberpower are OK if you're a nerd and can (and want to) fix things yourself, then you can save a few bucks. If the thought of the possibility of wrestling with 3rd party drivers and dll files doesn't appeal to you, then I'd stick with Dell. Even though you won't be doing much more than Internet and Photoshop, the latter takes quite a bit of horsepower and $700-$800 won't buy you a lot of that. I hear CS2 is pretty slow on anything but a very peppy machine. Get as much RAM as you can and the biggest, fastest hard disk you can afford. By the way, you might give you old clunker a new lease on life by running some spyware and anti-virus programs on it. Good luck!

I used to tell everyone who asked me this question to get a Dell. My second computer after a Tandy from the dark ages was a Dell and it served me well for a number of years and had very few problems, as did the Dell laptop I was issued at work and the Dell desktop my father bought on my recommendation. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same of some more recent Dell's with which I am familiar, and I have heard similar things from some other people. So, I am not sure what to recommend. Dell may still be the way to go, but I would try to do some research to find out whether there are more widespread issues cropping up with Dell. One of the things I like about Dell is that you can pick and choose what you need, so you can get, for example, a nice big, fast hard drive for storing all those pictures but pass on the fancy graphics card designed for gamers. For someone who uses your computer as you do a machine aimed at small businesses will often fill your needs better than one aimed at a home user so when shopping at places like Dell I check both the "home" section and the "small business" section (you don't need to be a business to buy from the latter).

I assembled my current computer myself and I like the results so far but I would not recommend that route to anyone who is not already reasonably familiar with both the hardware and software that make a computer work. For people who like to do things like build computers it can be hard to remember that most computer users do not know the difference between and IDE drive and a SCSI drive and don't want to!

I would also definitely not recommend going with the cheapest computer in any company's line. To make that super-cheap computer they are most likely using the cheapest parts available, which means that some of the parts are almost certain to not work up to spec or to fail before their time.

It should be noted that the problems you are having all sound like software problems so you might well be able to revive your current computer by scanning for viruses and spyware and diligently working on repairing anything that is not running properly. If all else fails you could back up all your files and then wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall the software (assuming you have all the installation discs), but if you are not at least familiar with things like what "drivers" are and where to get them and install them it would be a good idea to find someone who is to help you with this process. Still that might be a lot cheaper than buying a new PC.

Bruce is right on about Dell. They got to the top of the heap by making decent machines and providing better service, but now that there is no heap, it's a different story. The hardware is bottom of the barrel and the service department is long gone to India. (Not saying that a call center in India can't do a good job, just that Dell's doesn't.)

Dell's "configure and buy" pages often leave expensive options turned on, which may not be included in the HP/Compaq prices. We bough probably 100 machines off them in the past few years, never a problem with any of them. But these weren't the cheapest ones they had, so I guess you get what you pay for with Dell too.

But if you go for something like a Dimension 4700 with "slowest" 2.8GHz CPU, 512MB ram, 80GB hard disk and 17" CRT screen, you are well within your budget and have a great machine. If at some point you do "go digital", you can always add more RAM and a second hard disk.

Sam,

I just read that Intel has a new processor that seems to be made for digital imaging. It is a dual task unit. Don't recall the name. When I get another machine I am going to see about having one built at a local store. Service, if necessary, may be a lot easier.

Les

A recent Consumer Reports rates machines as well as separate charts for service and reliability. Worth checking out. I have had several Dells, including two refurbished Dimension desktops, which have not had problems. One refurb did die, and Dell had it repaired at my home the next day after I called. The refurbs really save $$$, and you can look until you find one that may have extra software thrown in, that you get for a lot less than buying it new, such as MS Office, if you want it, or extra hardware, such as a DVD burner. Good luck!

hi

I do not want to start a debate.

I have always own PC's and they are very good,reliable and compatible.Altough I just

purchased a Powerbook (from apple) and it is so much better than my Pc computer; which

is a pentium 4 3.2 mgtz .

when it comes down to using it for work,interface,and Photoshop is a lot better I can only

imagine the G5 what that is like.

so any way I would highly suggest you to go to www.apple.com then go to SALES and get

and get a Reburnish G5 . it is going to be like 300 dls more but bolive me is worth it.

the OP system alone is.

Regards.

For what it is worth, I just went through the same thing. The best deal I could come up with was through Dell. There did not seem to be much differance in the prices for HP, Gateway, etc, when you were looking at the same processor. The best thing about the Dell was I was able to configure it with exactly the hardware and software that I wanted.

I looked through all if this and agree with everything, but here are some details to watch out for.

-RAM or memory - you'll want 512 MB or RAM this will allow you to do PS photo processing without your computer stalling and running incredibly slow.

-Processory - cheaper computers have a pentium "celeron" processor. People will tell you, you need a pentium 4. a pentium 4 is better but I run on a celeron, and have had NO problem at all running photoshop, dreamweaver, and flash studio at the same time. I would say Getting more RAM like 512 or 1024 MB is most important...and Dell offers great customer service with repairs and replacing faulty products

Sam, just went thru it, I went to a local shop and told him what I wanted. Spent 800 and got it built with what I wanted with service right down the road if it fails. I to use it for my for my photos and paying bills. Got a ton of ram, a p3 processor, 2 80 drives, a multi-port card reader, 7 usb ports, with the dvd burner, etc. I'll leave the computer building to the guys that do that and I'll keep shooting. I know I could have done it cheaper, but I like to keep the money in the local community and if I need service I don't have to box it up.

Jim - a P3?

All - Anyway, with a lot of the mail-order companies, when you need service, you call. If it takes getting someone to work on the machine physically, they send a person to your home/office. While under warranty, of course, and if you get the extended warranty, you're likely to be off getting the next new toy a good while before the three or four years are up. Enjoy. - jw.

I would have to agree with Jim's comments above. Dell may proivde warranty service, but how long do you have to wait on hold, and how many technicians do you have to talk to to get the service that you need? It may cost a few dollars more to buy from a local dealer who assembles a machine for you, but you can be sure of the quality of the parts that are being put in your machine. Dell buys parts in big lots and you might get good parts in your PC or you might not. Yes it is under warranty, but consider your time. Find a local dealer who values service and see what they can do for you.

I have owned four Dell machines and will most likely not buy another. My local dealer quoted me a higher price, but the quality and performance of the parts specified were better matched to my needs. I will be giving him a call when my current Dell dies, which may be sometime soon because my motherboard recently died due to a poor soldering job. Thankfully, a friend was able to safely and successfully repair it.

Another suggestion, consider Picture Window Pro instead of Photoshop. Great performance on modest machines, and geared to the needs of the phtotographer. www.dl-c.com

--Ken