aperture blades on Voigtländer Heliar 4,5/15

ulrik

>>Many wide lenses are like this. Mechanicaly, they could open wider, but the resulting images would be crap!

Are you suggesting that the lenses are limited internally by a pin, or some sort of restricting device? If so, would it be possible to disassemble and modify the lens to open wider? Or, are they built to only open to a certain aperture, and that's it?

Purely from a hypothetical point of view; I won't be modifying my 21mm any time soon, but I can see myself doing it some day...

I have a feeling that there's no limiting device. It's just designed so you can't open it up to

the full diameter of the inside of the lens barrel. I too own the Heliar 15 (superb little lens

BTW).

I'm sure if you really wanted to you could open the lens up and simply physically remove the

aperture blades. Then you could rig up some kind of whacky Waterhouse stop affair to

retain some kind of aperture control.

You have to increase the diameter of the opening by a factor of 1.4 to gain another stop. That little ring of diaphragm blades you see is so narrow that you'd gain a mere fraction of a stop at best, and perhaps end up with an f/4.3 lens instead of an f/4.5 lens. You'd never see the density difference in your negatives. It would be too small, too subtle.