Making a VC finder fit the accessory shoe...

Hi All:

My pristine 28mm VC finder just came from Stephen Gandy (the lens came

last week and I'm really hoping to take some pictures tomorrow.)I find

that the fit is REALLY tight with the accessory shoe of my rather

clean IIIa.

Do I grit my teeth and take a jeweler's file to the shoe on the finder?

I'd rather put tool marks on that than start manipulating the shoe on

the camera. Does this seem the right way to go? Just to be sure, I

tried the finder on my II and it's just a little less tight there. Oh

dextrous ones, I welcome your input!

Thanks, David

You are right to be cautious. My 21 VC finder was a bit snug and after a few ins and outs

one of the flanges crumbled. I have been waiting for 3 months for Gandy to get another

foot in from CV and am really missing the finder. I wouldn't think thinning the flanges

would be the way to go inspite of the looser fit as they are already fragile. If/when I get

another foot I will be inclined to leave it on the camera and handle it with kid gloves.

Hi Adrian and Colin: Having taken your words of warning concerning the fragility of the foot, I proceeded with extreme caution. I put masking tape around the wider part of the finder (this is the metal version) in case the file went at an angle, and gingerly filed a little metal off the left edge of the foot. I decided on a file Adrian because there was quite a bit of metal to come off, and I didn't want to remove the foot from the finder for fear of misaligment. Once I was through the chrome plating, it becomes apparent that the foot is made of brass, not aluminum as I had suspected. I can only think that you must have gotten a faulty one Colin, since brass is quite durable, and to some small degree, quite malleable. Anyway, I filed until the foot fitted with some degree of friction into the accessory shoe. A tiny bit of emery paper took off the fine file marks and broke the corners slightly, and I'm good to go.

Thanks for your responses.