assumed that they were the same thing so I bought it. Tonight I

decided to try it out and I couldn't get hardly any effect. I used

the "Promaster cross screen 4x filter" on a Canon D20 and a 420EX

speedlight. No other lighing was used except for the living room

light attached to the ceiling fan. I don't know if these filters

are not the same, or if there was bad lighting, I'm hoping that

someone here can give me some direction. Below is the best effect I

could get.<div>00DISd-25287684.jpg.6ff4e6ef704494b998f0b2b86c02f1e9.jpg</div>

I don't think there was anything wrong with your filter. I don't think you were getting enough reflections off of the dress I'm asumming. Try it on something brighter like a chandelier or somecandles. This effect, in my opinion can be more easily achieved in photoshop. I think elements also. That way you have total control over it.

...also, the picture is underexposed. I assume the fabric is white rather than gray. If you do this shot again, dial up the flash exposure compansation by 1.5 to 2 stops. For that matter, any type of metering off of this fabric should probably be assumed to be 1.5-2 stops under - so compensate by adding that amount to the exposure.

As mentioned, the star will appear only from direct specular light (like a candle) or light that is reflected of shiny points (like car chrome). You seem to have one spot on the dress that worked. If there waqs stronger light hitting the dress you'd probably get more stars. You also have a 4 point cross/star filter. You can get them with 6 points and more. Since you're using digital, light some candles or go outside and find shiny objects to practice. Don't use your flash with a lighted candle, however. Have fun.

JT, You can also adjust the effect quite abit by zooming the lens....you should also be able to see the effect as you look through the lens. For fun, look or shoot through a screen door at night without the filter and you'll see the same effect. A word of caution tho, the filter will also offer difussion and soften the focus...........have fun.<div>00DIXV-25288884.jpg.57d34ec4f0597840a757c546f811626a.jpg</div>

• 2 years later...