low cost camera strap

I have been searching for a low-cost camera strap for some time.

In these days of $3.00 gasoline, its nice to find a money-saver.

Gordy at http://www.electricedge.com/gordy_s_straps/index.htm

has both wrist and neckstraps. The wrist strap is only $15, and

is real leather..just the thing for my IIIC.

You might find a low cost alternative strap at his site. I have no

interest in or affiliation with this business. I am only glad

to find low-cost leather camera straps and pass the info. on.

Gerry

I'd be curious to know how stiff those straps are (they look pretty thick)and also how comfortable (or not) those thick ends are, and if the loops are secured by anything other than the wrapping. Making a pretty strap to look nice on a vintage camera is fine, but there are some other considerations if the camera will be used for actual photography. BTW they sell leather riveting sets at craft shops, I doubt it would be that hard to make a strap. Meant to give it a try myself but last winter at the now-famous N. Miami Camera Show I picked up a couple of nice leather straps for a buck apiece.

I am a confirmed leather nut, having done leather work as a hobby and sometimes occupation for the past forty odd years. I use some leather straps for cameras and binoculars, but quite frankly I think there are materials that work better for those uses. I have a very comfortable and secure camera strap made from heavy grosgrain ribbon about one and a quarter inch wide and looks commercially made. It has about a foot and a half adjustment via sliding plastic buckles and it stows in the camera case without taking up undue space. I found it in a junk box in a camera shop. I hope to make several more for my own use when I can get access to a good sewing machine. If I am successful I will post a sketch for the edification of DIY's and other interested parties.

I've gotten a number of bargains at the N. Miami Camera Show. I've also made quite a few straps with supplies from Tandy Leather. The ones I really like the best were marketed by Nikon back about 25 years ago. I just wish the fabric didn't have that wide yellow stripe between the black edges.

I find the standard (?) Leica strap currently available (on Ebay for $35.00 or less) to be the best value. It is quality made, more important the design of the ends will in no way mar your camera because of the protective covers. I use one on my M camera, one on my IIIF and even one on my Contax IIA.

Yes Al the current, very inexpensive, Nikon straps, with the yellow band are great on my Nikons but IMO would look out of place on a nice looking rangefinder camera.

Forumites,

Herr Konermann's strap, like all his products are beautifully made and

are inexpensive, but any strap that hangs the camera from one eyelet or lug, is a RECIPE FOR DISASTER! M Leica lugs are just a tiny rivet

into the body shell. They cannot take much abuse.

In my life with Leicas, I have found only two acceptable neck straps;

the Domke strap and Leicas own strap. Neither of them will damage the

finish of the camera, or slide off your shoulder. They will not cut

into your neck like the narrow leather ones.

I am not interested in fashionable or stylish straps; only in security

and comfort.

Jerry

Check out the "deluxe strap" that Bessa importer, Stephen Gandy, sells. No

extra buckles or junk just pure function with good protection for the mounting

points on the camera. They're never off my Leica Ms.

I agree with the earlier comment that any Leica swung from just one mounting

is a problem waiting to happen. The simple physics of the situation dictate

caution here.

Herr Lehrer, <p>

Thanks for your positive feedback on the Leicagoodies as a whole. With roughly one thousand Slings and hundreds of Hooks sold I have yet to receive notice of one single desaster re: strain on strap lugs. But you might tell me from which personal experience your global warning springs. I have been happily using both for years. And, believe me, they are a recipe for a more comfortable and secure handling of the Leica M. Ask the many users.<p>Cheers.

I hate to take issue with a gentleman such as Lutz whose products I admire and use, but I used one of his straps until it became evident that the lug was loosening and disaster was imminent, so I re-stabilized it with super glue and went back to double support. Nevertheless, I still use several of his other gadgets. <p> As to the Nikon yellow straps, I didn't like the color either, so a dip in black dye did the trick. I don't use the strap anymore because it is too bulky but I'm saving it for a heavier camera that I expect to obtain.

Hi to all. Being none of the former post remembering that also my straps are existing, OK, I will offer three of my "deluxe" straps, in black or brown finish, with adjustable lenght, with shoulder pad, and (if requested) with soft leather protectors on both lugs sides, to the 1st THREE users of this forum that will post IN THE FORUM their clear request for one of them. I will offer a strap, and the Registered Air Mail shipping. All I'll ask them, is to post their thoughts about the strap, after have used it... :-) - Regards, Luigi Crescenzi

Gosh. May I join this offer? I will write a full review. AND, I have a brand new (1936) Leica IIIa that really needs exactly this type of strap. I would appreciate the small leather protector pads, too.

<p>

Please email me at owenw (at) sala (dot) net

<p>

Thank you, Luigi!

<p>

Owen