Any suggestions for a new monitor?

Seeking minimal colour shift. I like the Apple 20" and 23" displays

but not sure about compatibility with my DELL laptop, which I will

be using for a dual monitor setup. Also perhaps a bit too expensive.

Any suggestions for something similar (19-20" ok) but slightly

cheaper?

Thanks

I've had a Samsung 910T 19" monitor for 6 months now and I'm very pleased with it. The

color accuracy is excellent. I paid about $350 for it.

Samsung manufactures monitors for Apple.

BTW, my last two monitors were 19" NEC/Mitsubishi CRTs that are the same as the LaCie

model which is highly regarded for photo / graphics work.

I think the Samsung is as good.

Just because two companies use the same LCD panel, you can't necessarily deduce that they function similarly. There are electronics involved too and those are specific to the final vendor's specs. The Apple 20 and 23 should work with your laptop depending on what your video out is. The Apple 23" models have been plagued with magenta casts and other anomolies. Not so the 20". The Nec Spectraview 1980 is a decent monitor from a photographers point of view. LaCie markets the same monitor (can't remember the model number but you can google it). I've heard good things about the Eizo Flexscan L997. I know my Eizo ColorEdge 210 is fantastic but far too expensive for your criteria.

You'll need to profile these monitors with an external device for best results.

A monitor which can pivot, if it works with your graphics card is a real boon. When you work on a landscape image, you twist the monitor one way and maximise its long length. Work in portrait mode, twist the monitor 90 degrees and voila, you can still maximse its long side.

"Just because two companies use the same LCD panel, you can't necessarily deduce that

they function similarly."

True enough. I'm not saying that the Samsung is the equivalent to an Apple 20" (for

example), just pointing out that they make good stuff and that Apple uses them.

"The Apple 23" models have been plagued with magenta casts and other anomolies. Not

so the 20""

Nobody who cares about accurate color should even consider the 23" Cinema Display until

Apple acknowledge and deal with the magenta problem. The form

factor is great but the magenta shift is shockingly bad. It's not a case of a few bad

monitors, they all seem to be like this. The 20s I've looked at are much cleaner when it

comes to color but just a bit too small.

Thanks to you all for your advice so far.

The 20" Apple seems a popular choice. Ashame the price is so high considering it doesn't have a vertical swivel option.

This seems to be an important feature for 18-20" range as the screen is not so large.

Any other suggestions instead of the Apple 20", even at around the same price as the Apple?

I'd consider getting an S-IPS panel LCD if you can afford one. They are more accurate than other panel types. Eizo makes a lower grade one called the 797 which is supposed to be good. NEC 1980sxi is another supposedly good S-IPS, it uses the same panel as the Spectraview. The new Lacie Eric metioned is called the 123 and is very expensive. Their other LCDs are all MVA panels and I wouldn't recommend them, especially when you can get the Eizo 768 (also MVA panel) for simular price.

<br><BR>

Hope this helps,<br>

Patrick - <a href="http://www.patrickperon.com">www.patrickperon.com</a>