Would you hire a photographer who are not using Leica?

chuck_t

<i>Actually I sort of wished I'd thought about the camera my wedding photographer used -- that Hasselblad sounded like a gun going off.</i></p>If he used the Hasselblad whilst the church ceremony was in-progress the photographer was a class-less incompetent. If you heard the sound of the Hasselblad whilst the after-party was in progress, then it must've been the quietest wedding reception in history. In either case it wasn't the fault of the camera.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Chuck,

yours is a rather fadist, exclusionary question and closed mindset.

For A: Quite offensive in its inocuous camera-type racism ... But BAD.

How would you feel if the first taxi that came up at the stand was NOT a Benz? Would you walk instead?

For B: A collector of nice and very expensive photo gear, or cars, or a fancy kitchen etc might not be a good photographer, nor a good driver, nor even a decent cook, not at all.

Maybe you assume (rather foolishly I say) that the best at making millions and showing them off is the best in all aspects of art, live, science and love, a stallion eevrywhere from behind the lens to bed etc.

Come on, you sound like a j... (word).

Gear does not matter; it is what is behind the viewfinder, the brain of the photog. Sorry to be the one to let you know this fact first.

Seriously I don't know what you're all talking about. Chuck obviously seems to be the only one here who realises that a Leica camera is hand crafted by magical German elves. There's no way you could use one without coming into contact with the magical residue the elves leave on the camera! Lets look at this from another angle, anyone who has a Leica and takes bad pictures, even one, is obviously in legion with the devil and the hoards of the underworld. Leica's are magical, they do make you a better photographer, and damn it no Chunk don't hire him if he doesn't have a Leica!! Same way as you wouldn't hire a writer who uses BIC pens, it's got to be Parker, if you have a Parker yourself it makes sense that you and your mate write the story rather than the real author. Magic is not cheap!

<I>"I knew an SF based pj who on his wedding handed out kodak disposables to the guests...they were the most unbelievable wedding photos I have ever seen."</I>

<P>

I have a friend that did exactly the same thing and the photos were unbelievable as well, though I'm sure they were unbelievable in a very different way.

My opinion is that this is a colossally bad idea unless you hang out with great photographers or have an exceedingly low expectation of what constitutes a wedding album.

You know, this appears to be such a joke question. But some of the answers are even deeper in the concept of �got to be joking.� Yes, there is an issue with equipment. Not a lot, but there is. First, do they have duplicate coverage in the same medium? If not, then no, I would not have them shoot my wedding. It might be a surprise, but some people believe disposable cameras are realistic backup solutions: they are not. I also would hope people are not going in with a pair of 28-300 zooms or some such. I would like to be able to have a few large prints, you know? That takes some quality. Funny though. Shooting your own wedding. Very funny concept. I actually ran into another shooter who used the same gear as I did. We pooled gear and shot each others weddings (2 weeks apart). Actually worked out well:)

"...I knew an SF based pj who on his wedding handed out kodak disposables to the guests...".....we did this at my mom and dad's 50th wedding aniversary. The kids....yes, actual kids, kinda took over the photography thru most of the night. I was pleasantly surprised.....heh.....actually was able to put an album together for them that didn't look half bad.