photographers in the area make $850-$1500 base

My experience:

Over the last 2 years I�ve done 4 weddings (2 for free, 2 for a

little over cost) and am pretty much the exclusive photographer for

just about everything on campus here at my college (sports info,

public info, newspaper, yearbook). My technical proficiency with the

camera is pretty high � In the last 8 months, I�ve shot somewhere

around 45,000 images.

My equip: 20D, 580ex, f/4L glass, misc. accessories.

Any suggestions you guys could give me would be very much appreciated

-Francis

Regarding the anniversary:

How many people, how far from you, how long, and how many locations is what you need to know. I think you will also need to assess the clients expectations before you can decide.

Although it is an important milestone there is somewhat less pressure at an anniversary party. If your feel for the local going rate is accurate I would start there.

If you are in a small town setting don't whore your price and ruin the base for everyone else. Stay as close to the base amount or higher by all means.

Hi Francis:

how many hours and what do they expect from you? Before pricing or estimating, I'd ask alot of questions first. All you've given to work with is its an anniversary and base price for weddings.

Once you get handle on the venue, that too will help on pricing it out. Is the gig at someones house, the best hotel, the best "hall."

On the info given, this gig isn't up to what is req of a wedding gig. Weddings gigs have alot of stuff to them. Pre-wedding shoot, the ceremony location, formals, the limos, the bridesmaids, groomsmen, the dance, the cake-cutting, etc, etc.

Again, with the little info provided thus far and considering your skill level, which sounds pretty good per se, and if I had to provide a suggestion right now, I'd price it no higher than the base for weddings.

Sorry for the limited information provided initially, that was all I had to work with at the time.

Full details:

They are just interested in a number of formal pictures of the family before dinner (5 generations of the family should be there), not candids during dinner. I would place my time spent shooting at no more than 2 hours, most likely 1 hour, followed by a decent amount of optimizing in photoshop to ensure eyes are open etc (there�s also three kids under the age of 3 there, so that should keep things interesting). Travel time is nonexistent.

I�m torn between a flat fee pricing model or a per-print pricing model�. Any suggestions?

"I'm torn between a flat fee pricing model or a per-print pricing model. Any suggestions?"

Its a bird in the hand thing...You have talent and skill. Don't thro it up in the air for a per-print sale! Don't do this to yourself.

What if they only want three 8x10s?

If it were me, and I'm from L.A., I'd say a straight $400-$500(US) minimum for one hour location shoot and include a small set of prints as teaser. If they want more prints then THAT is extra pudding. I'd let them know that this will be post-processed, color corrected, etc., and that there is more work involved than just shooting.

Here, we're not looking at a 4-8 hour wedding gig.

As a businessman I would never do a per-print sale, ever. I want to get paid for my time, my expensive gear, my skill, and yes, my professionalism. You can't cover that on a per-print basis.

Good Luck.