Test: Leica 28/2.8R vs. Zeiss 28/2 vs. Canon 24-70/2.8L

impressive pictures. i can imagine good old fred, shooting the same roof for

years just to prove that one lens is slightly better than the other. nobody ever

asked robert capa or alfred eisenstaedt if he had tested his lens before using

it. crap IMHO.

Harry, why such bile about a simple lens test? Yes, it's a roof and not a soldier

getting shot in the head -- it's kinda hard to get the latter to hold still for three

different lenses, especially if one wants to test across various apertures. Some folks

like to make technically informed decisions about equipment they're choosing, and

tests like this -- taken with the usual salt grains about trial and sample variation --

can be useful.

Lens tests- Leice vs Zeiss vs Canon

"The narcisisim of minor differences". There are some people who swear they can hear the differences in sound between a vacuum tube amplifier using a vintage Mullard tube vs an American RCA tube, and would charge some naked emperor $100 each per tube more for the difference.

In the recent thread of photos taken by the soldier after WWII, has anyone complained about any technical aspect, or negated the value of them because they were taken with an "amateur" camera? NO!

Cheers

Cheers

Hmmm - a prime f/2.8 lens beats a prime f/2 lens and an f/2.8 zoom. This is a surprise? I'd expect practically ANY 28 f/2.8 to win this contest - Leica, Zeiss, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, you-name-it.

The 28 f/2 Zeiss is likely the Distagon made for the Kyocera/RTS system (probably the same optics as the Rollei 3000 version). I had one and the blur in the test looks familiar. I don't have a clue what the "hollywood" reference means - probably an ignorant tester who assumes all Zeiss f/2-ish lenses are the same lens (just as many people call any Zeiss 180 and Olympic - even though there have been at least 4-5 Zeiss 180s over the years and only the first had any connection to the Olympics (1936).

"Hmmm - a prime f/2.8 lens beats a prime f/2 lens and an f/2.8 zoom. This is a surprise? I'd expect practically ANY 28 f/2.8 to win this contest - Leica, Zeiss, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, you-name-it." - very true and it's good to keeep our expectations and prejudices safe from the reality.