Linhof 617 vs S617 III

agustin.david

Agustin, there have been three main versions of the 617 from memory, hence the last being designated MK3, the first had a fixed 90mm Schneider Super Angulon f8 lens and also sported three accessory shoes on the top plate, the second had a Schneider 90mm f5.6 Super Angulon and I think one less accessory shoe, also some other mods like 120/220 film facility, and the last and still current version which had a makeover and offers 4 interchangeble lenses, 72,90,180,250, all of which require separate finders. The first two should come with a designated centre filter for use, as does the mk3 with the 72/90, if you do not want 2 stops of light fall off. In some respects the fixed lens versions are simpler and the 90mm is probably the most useful focal length for this format, however I sold my 617 111 and purchased the 612PC with a 58 & 135 lenses as I personally feel this is a more useable format. Regarding your question however I am confident in saying that you would be delighted with the performance of either MK1 or 2 but do bear in mind that the price should reflect both condition and model offered.

Thank you very much Gary. Your answer has been very important, because I didn't know that

there is only one single lens for the first two models. Anyway, I prefer the 90mm for

landscape in that camera. For what I read in some reviews, the camera is awesome... so... I

can smell it... ha ha. It's 3.000タ... what do you think about it?

Thank you again for your time and information has been very helpful.

Agustin, 3000 Euros I imagine not pounds? That's ok for a very good condition mk2 with 90 f5.6 and centre filter but too much for a mk1, as this should be circa 2300 Euros. Do make sure it has the centre filter, otherwise you will be adding on at least 350 Euros to get one!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Agustin,

I don't know much about the Linhof cameras but I'm sure you'll love the format. I've been using a 6 x 17 back on my 4 x 5 camera and just love it. Inspiring, if not overly commercial, panoramic work can be found at www.kenduncan.com and www.maxtaylor.com.au Duncan uses a Linhof but I don't know which model.

-Mike

• 5 months later...